Goligoski says goodbye to Pittsburgh
Former Penguins defenseman Alex Goligoski, traded to Dallas on Tuesday afternoon, joked that he knew rooting for his beloved Green Bay Packers in the Super Bowl "would come back to haunt me."
Second among Penguins defensemen with 31 points, Goligoski, 25, hopes to fuel the Stars' push for a Stanley Cup playoff spot.
"I'm going to have to learn the system quick," he said. "I know how I can fit right in is by playing a big role in getting Dallas to the playoffs." Goligoski spoke to the Tribune-Review during a snowy drive to Pittsburgh International Airport:
When did you first get wind of this trade being a possibility?
Just this afternoon. I wasn't really sure what was going on. I knew if the Pens were going to make a trade, I was likely one of the guys. It's just kind of with the way the team was set up in terms of strengths and needs. ... I wasn't too uptight about it or thinking about it too much. It wasn't that big of a burden on me.
You knew the situation with the Penguins - four defensemen on long-term deals, you at shorter term. Did you enter this season expecting to finish it as a Penguin?
I never looked at it like that. I knew that I was a main trading chip, I guess you could say. It was just a matter of them getting an offer they liked.
How will you look back on your brief, but not unmemorable, Penguins career?
It was great. Everything was great. The Cup, obviously, was the best. I played on some great teams here. The organization was great, right down the list. They were very good to me.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Penguins get physical, trade Goc for Blues’ Lapierre
- No cross-checking here: Penguins misspell ‘Sidney’
- Penguins notebook: Crosby understands NHL’s reasoning for ban
- Crosby banned from Jets game because he missed All-Star Game
- Rossi: Crosby’s debt to NHL paid in full
- Letang produces 5 assists in return as Penguins defeat Jets, 5-3
- Crosby, Malkin dazzle fellow All-Stars
- Penguins recall 4 players
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended 8 games for hit on Letang
- Penguins notebook: Letang’s status vs. Jets uncertain
- Fleury’s All-Star play has coincided with joy of being a father