Kunitz works out, won't play tonight against Carolina
• Left wing Chris Kunitz will not play tonight at Carolina, missing his ninth straight game with an undisclosed lower-body injury. Dressed in full gear, he engaged in an hourlong on-ice workout before practice Thursday at Consol Energy Center.
• Forward Mike Comrie (hip) also skated before practice, but only briefly. Dressed in a track suit, he engaged in light drills. Right wing Arron Asham (concussion) did not take the ice. He had engaged in light activity Wednesday before a morning practice. Asham has missed 10 straight games.
• Center Mark Letestu (left knee), forward Dustin Jeffrey (undisclosed) and defenseman Paul Martin (right shoulder and neck) practiced, but all are expected to miss tonight's game. Martin, who will miss his third straight, said he hopes to play Saturday at Toronto.
• The Penguins will host Edmonton at 3 p.m. March 13. The original start time was 1 p.m., and the change moves the Penguins out of the block reserved for NBC's "Game of the Week." The game will be broadcast by FSN.
• Right wing Tim Wallace was reassigned to Wilkes-Barre/Scranton of the AHL. The transaction made room for Alex Kovalev.
• Center Jordan Staal, who played 29 minutes Wednesday in an overtime loss to San Jose, said he is not sure how much weight he lost during the game. Were it up to him, though, he would have lost more. General manager Ray Shero said Staal kept pleading to coach Dan Bylsma for more shifts. "He missed a lot of games early," Shero said, jokingly referring to the 39 he sat out to open this season. "He can handle it."
Penguins at Hurricanes
7 p.m. today, RBC Center, Raleigh, N.C.
TV/radio: FSN/WXDX-FM (105.9), Penguins Radio Network
Season series: Penguins lead, 3-0-0. After opening the series with a 3-0 shutout in Raleigh, the Penguins won two one-goal games here. This is the clubs' final regular-season meeting.
Who to watch: Rookie center Jeff Skinner has 22 goals but none in three games against the Penguins.
Trends: Right wing Erik Cole is set to play his 600th game. ... This fourth straight home game marks the Hurricanes' longest stay at RBC Center this season. ... Left wing Jussi Jokinen hadn't scored in more than a month before recording two goals Tuesday against the Rangers.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Stat dropoff, road struggles have Penguins seeking consistency
- Lapierre eager to make mark with Penguins
- Rossi: Crosby’s debt to NHL paid in full
- Starkey: What are Penguins, Pirates up to?
- For Penguins coach Johnston, it’s a matter of substance over style
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended 8 games for hit on Letang
- Penguins notebook: Crosby understands NHL’s reasoning for ban
- Capitals dominate overmatched Penguins in win at Verizon Center
- Crosby banned from Jets game because he missed All-Star Game
- Penguins notebook: Letang’s status vs. Jets uncertain
- Penguins’ Fleury surrenders 7 goals in 1 period of NHL All-Star Game loss