Kunitz works out, won't play tonight against Carolina
• Left wing Chris Kunitz will not play tonight at Carolina, missing his ninth straight game with an undisclosed lower-body injury. Dressed in full gear, he engaged in an hourlong on-ice workout before practice Thursday at Consol Energy Center.
• Forward Mike Comrie (hip) also skated before practice, but only briefly. Dressed in a track suit, he engaged in light drills. Right wing Arron Asham (concussion) did not take the ice. He had engaged in light activity Wednesday before a morning practice. Asham has missed 10 straight games.
• Center Mark Letestu (left knee), forward Dustin Jeffrey (undisclosed) and defenseman Paul Martin (right shoulder and neck) practiced, but all are expected to miss tonight's game. Martin, who will miss his third straight, said he hopes to play Saturday at Toronto.
• The Penguins will host Edmonton at 3 p.m. March 13. The original start time was 1 p.m., and the change moves the Penguins out of the block reserved for NBC's "Game of the Week." The game will be broadcast by FSN.
• Right wing Tim Wallace was reassigned to Wilkes-Barre/Scranton of the AHL. The transaction made room for Alex Kovalev.
• Center Jordan Staal, who played 29 minutes Wednesday in an overtime loss to San Jose, said he is not sure how much weight he lost during the game. Were it up to him, though, he would have lost more. General manager Ray Shero said Staal kept pleading to coach Dan Bylsma for more shifts. "He missed a lot of games early," Shero said, jokingly referring to the 39 he sat out to open this season. "He can handle it."
Penguins at Hurricanes
7 p.m. today, RBC Center, Raleigh, N.C.
TV/radio: FSN/WXDX-FM (105.9), Penguins Radio Network
Season series: Penguins lead, 3-0-0. After opening the series with a 3-0 shutout in Raleigh, the Penguins won two one-goal games here. This is the clubs' final regular-season meeting.
Who to watch: Rookie center Jeff Skinner has 22 goals but none in three games against the Penguins.
Trends: Right wing Erik Cole is set to play his 600th game. ... This fourth straight home game marks the Hurricanes' longest stay at RBC Center this season. ... Left wing Jussi Jokinen hadn't scored in more than a month before recording two goals Tuesday against the Rangers.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.
We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.
While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.
We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers.
We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.
We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.
We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.
We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.
- Crosby appreciates his relationship with Penguins fans
- Penguins goalie prospects push each other amid friendly competition
- AHL overtime rules create some confusion for Penguins prospects
- Penguins’ Johnston eager to implement up-tempo style
- Penguins goalie Fleury, a free agent at end of season, wants to stay
- Penguins’ Dea impresses in rookie tournament opener
- Rookie tourney offers opportunity for Penguins’ prospects
- Penguins report to training camp Sept. 18
- NHL becomes no-spin zone during shootouts
- Recchi relishes new role with Penguins