Penguins captain Crosby will update his status
Sidney Crosby on Wednesday will hold his first news conference in months, primarily to update his ongoing recovery from a concussion. No major announcement regarding a change in his status is expected, according to multiple team and industry sources.
Dates for a return to contact activity have not been set by Crosby or his doctors, the sources said. The Penguins hold their first training camp practices Sept. 17 and open the regular season Oct. 6 at Vancouver.
Crosby, the Penguins captain who has not played since Jan. 5, has resumed skating on a semi-regular basis, the sources said. His offseason workouts were altered last month after he experienced headaches at "90 percent exertion," per a statement from the Penguins on Aug. 24.
Crosby has received alternate opinions from unnamed concussion experts in Michigan and Georgia, respectively, the sources said. With the Penguins' approval, he sought those alternate opinions in late August after previously being treated for the concussion by Michael Collins, who heads UPMC's Sports Medicine Concussion Program.
The Tribune-Review could not confirm Internet reports that any of the experts involved in his treatment will attend the news conference Wednesday, but Crosby will be the primary speaker, the sources said.
Crosby is set to attend an annual NHL function for national media outlets in the New York area on Thursday and Friday, but the sources said his current health status played no part in that decision.
Crosby has not spoken publicly about his concussion since April 29 several days after his noncontact, high-intensity practices were halted because of recurring headaches. Team officials and Crosby's representatives have since speculated those headaches were the result of a sinus condition.
A hit by Tampa Bay defenseman Victor Hedman to Crosby on Jan. 5 is the one the Penguins have said left him concussed, though Crosby was also clipped from the blindside by then-Washington forward David Steckel during the Winter Classic on New Year's Day at Heinz Field.
Symptoms of headache, nausea, general disorientation and neck pain and a below-normal result on a baseline cognitive test led to his concussion diagnosis Jan. 6. He resumed noncontact practices March 31, participating in a morning-skate session at Tampa Bay. He followed that by looking sharp during a full practice, albeit without contact, the next day at Florida.
After taking what Penguins general manager Ray Shero called a "step back" during the playoffs, Crosby was cleared June 2 to resume regular offseason activity of the noncontact variety. His workouts began July 15, Shero said.
Shero has insisted repeatedly that Crosby "won't be rushed" to return.
"The main thing with him, or any player, is that he's not going to be pushed, prodded until he's 100 percent ready," Shero said Aug. 14. "My concern isn't with Sept. 16, Oct. 6 or whenever; it's making sure he's comfortable when he returns to play, end of story. I'm about the bigger picture with this thing. This kid just turned 24, he's the best player in the league. Just let it play itself out."
Note: Single-game tickets will go on sale at 10 a.m. Sept. 16. More than 2,000 are available for each of the 41 home games.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- New Penguins coach to meet with Malkin
- Penguins assistant Martin gets new job title
- Q&A: New coach Johnston feeling at home with Penguins
- Hollidaysburg native Lafferty relishing his chance with Penguins
- Pens hope to reach long-term deal with Brandon Sutter
- Some of the top prospects in Penguins system to be in town for camp
- Despite management change, familiarity reigns for Penguins prospects
- Recchi rejoins Pens, this time as a coach
- Rossi: Johnston must reach Malkin in Moscow