Penguins' Orpik still recovering from surgery
Penguins defenseman Brooks Orpik did not practice Monday at Consol Energy Center, and there is at least some uncertainty within the organization about his status for the regular-season opener at Vancouver on Oct. 6.
"I'm not one way or the other right now," coach Dan Bylsma said. "I'm still preparing like he could be there for us at the start of the season."
Orpik is recovering from offseason abdominal surgery, though he has had limited participation during training camp. He was not available to speak per team policy regarding injured players.
> > Center Sidney Crosby (concussion) participated in a controlled scrimmage for a second consecutive day, though he has yet to be cleared for contact drills. Crosby, who continues to wear a white helmet signifying his non-contact status, engaged in extended individual drills after a practice session that lasted about an hour.
> > Right wing Arron Asham did not practice. Bylsma said he was given a "maintenance day," which is Penguins code for rest.
> > Bylsma suggested the exhibition game Tuesday against Los Angeles at Kansas City would likely feature a final audition for on-the-bubble players to win consideration for a roster spot. He said there would "probably be two" rounds of cuts before selection of the season-opening roster and that weekend games at Chicago and Detroit would be used to determine line combinations for regulars. The Penguins expect to make another round of cuts Thursday.
> > After topping 100,000 Twitter followers in the summer, the Penguins hit the 1,000,000 plateau on Facebook, another popular social media site. They are one of three NHL teams with as many Facebook followers, joining Detroit and Boston.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Ex-Penguins defenseman Niskanen still miffed by coaches’ firings
- Minor league report: Other prospects on Penguins’ radar
- Pouliot scores in NHL debut as Penguins tame Panthers
- Penguins notebook: Memorable night for Pouliot, Trocheck
- Penguins star Crosby talks about his experience with mumps
- With 3 more players possibly affected, Pens’ mumps fight escalates
- Penguins notebook: Players back team doctors in mumps aftermath
- Penguins defenseman Letang having best season in new system
- Penguins notebook: Kunitz ‘really close’ to return
- Mumps confirmed for Penguins’ Bennett; team intern also affected
- Penguins notebook: Zatkoff returns to team as Fleury’s backup