Penguins remain undefeated in preseason
CHICAGO — Goalie Brent Johnson was spectacular, Steve Sullivan scored a goal in his first game with the Penguins, and Joe Vitale made a case for making the NHL roster, as the Penguins (5-0-0) remained undefeated in preseason play with a 4-2 victory over the Chicago Blackhawks on Friday night in Chicago.
Sullivan, expected to add punch to the Penguins' power play, fired a shot from the left point that beat Blackhawks goalie Ray Emery for a 1-0 first-period lead.
Matt Cooke made it 2-0 in the second period when he fired a shot from the red line that beat Emery, who was out of position after having just played the puck.
Vitale banged in a loose puck to make it 3-0 later in the period. Vitale, in a battle to make the team, was a physical force throughout and did nothing to hurt his chances.
Brandon Pirri scored twice to pull the Blackhawks within a goal. Gibsonia native Brandon Saad assisted on Pirri's first goal.
Those were the only shots to get by Johnson, who stopped 35 of 37 shots and made a number of spectacular saves in the final minutes to preserve the victory.
Evgeni Malkin added an empty-net goal with 41.8 seconds left.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Penguins notebook: Malkin picture muddy
- Healthy again, Penguins’ Dupuis eager for game action
- Penguins notebook: Scuderi OK with new defensive system
- Penguins notebook: Wild beat Pens behind Pominville’s hat trick
- With analytics, NHL is whole new game
- Penguins notebook: Ex-teammate Cooke says ‘I feel for’ Shero, Bylsma
- Penguins notebook: Consol ice still a matter of concern
- Penguins’ Kapanen bolsters chance to make team in exhibition win
- Penguins’ Kapanen impressing under tutelage of Maatta
- Apparent knee injury leaves Penguins’ Bennett in limbo
- Wings coach Babcock does not hide affection for Penguins’ Crosby