Jeffrey working out kinks, conditioning in minors
RALEIGH, N.C. - The Penguins are not disappointed in center Dustin Jeffrey's play, but simply think he needs significant ice time before contributing at the NHL level.
Jeffrey, who had ACL surgery in late March, played six games with the Penguins before being sent to Wilkes-Barre/Scranton on what is being called a "conditioning assignment."
Jeffrey remains on the team's active roster. He did not record a point in his six games this season, registering seven shots.
"It's rehab related more than anything," Penguins coach Dan Bylsma said.
Jeffrey scored seven goals in 25 appearances at the NHL level last season but hasn't yet displayed the burst that was evident at times during the 2010-11 campaign.
"This was a chance to get a significant amount of minutes in a number of games," Bylsma said of the stint in Wilkes-Barre. "There is still quite a bit of rehab considering the surgery that he did have, the way he was working through it (and) responding."
Kennedy sits again
Right wing Tyler Kennedy remained out of the lineup while recovering from a concussion. It is believed he will return to the lineup soon. He hasn't played since Oct. 15 against Buffalo, but has been practicing with the team for more than a week.
Center Sidney Crosby accompanied the Penguins to Raleigh and skated at the RBC Center on Saturday morning. There remains no set date for his return to the lineup. Crosby has not played since Jan. 5.
Fleury gets breather
Goalie Marc-Andre Fleury was given a night off against the Carolina Hurricanes last night, and it was well deserved. Fleury (9-2-1, 1.87 GAA, .932 save percentage) ranks second in wins, sixth in goals against and 10th in save percentage among NHL goaltenders.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Penguins release Carcillo from tryout contract
- Penguins’ Sutter is determined to keep scoring pressure on
- Penguins notebook: Malkin picture muddy
- Despres is relishing his regular role on Penguins’ blue line
- With analytics, NHL is whole new game
- Penguins notebook: Crosby ‘confident’ despite limited preseason time
- Apparent knee injury leaves Penguins’ Bennett in limbo
- Healthy again, Penguins’ Dupuis eager for game action
- Penguins notebook: Consol ice still a matter of concern
- Veteran right winger Adams fighting for roster spot with Penguins
- Penguins goalie Fleury, a free agent at end of season, wants to stay