Penguins veteran Adams denies there was captaincy meeting
Right winger Craig Adams, one of the Penguins' veterans, denied a Tribune-Review report Friday that players recently discussed a temporary captaincy with Sidney Crosby out of the lineup.
"Ask every person in this room right now, point-blank, and they'll deny it," Adams said Tuesday in the team's locker room at Consol Energy Center. "Knowing the people in this room, I don't think that could happen here. And for it to be a topic of conversation, for some of our fans to think it did happen, that's pretty sad."
General manager Ray Shero also denied that there was a meeting, based on his discussions with players.
The Tribune-Review stands by the original report.
> > Defenseman Kris Letang might rejoin the lineup later this week, he said yesterday after skating with teammates for the first time since his Nov. 26 concussion.
"We'll see how the week goes," he said at Consol Energy Center.
Letang suffered dizziness, nausea and headaches after absorbing a hit nearly two months ago in Montreal. Letang said that during his recovery he was treated for two weeks by Dr. Francois Chaput, a Canadian chiropractor and concussion specialist. Now symptom-free, Letang has been cleared for game action, but will progress cautiously.
"Obviously, we don't want to rush it," he said. "I've had a lot of discussion with (general manager Ray Shero) and the coaches. We'll make a decision when I'm going to be ready."
Letang has missed 21 games. The Penguins play Thursday in New York against the Rangers, and then return home for games Friday against Montreal and Sunday versus Washington.
"I want to play as quick as I can play," he said.
> > Right wing Arron Asham was scratched from last night's game with an illness.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Starkey: What are Penguins, Pirates up to?
- Lapierre eager to make mark with Penguins
- For Penguins coach Johnston, it’s a matter of substance over style
- Penguins notebook: Johnston pleased with Downie’s all-around play
- Penguins get physical, trade Goc for Blues’ Lapierre
- Penguins notebook: Crosby understands NHL’s reasoning for ban
- Capitals dominate overmatched Penguins in win at Verizon Center
- Penguins’ Fleury surrenders 7 goals in 1 period of NHL All-Star Game loss
- No cross-checking here: Penguins misspell ‘Sidney’
- Penguins notebook: Letang’s status vs. Jets uncertain
- Rossi: Crosby’s debt to NHL paid in full