Penguins defenseman Letang is added to All-Star Game roster
Kris Letang had scheduled a trip to New York during the all-star break for what he thought would be a few days off.
"But I've changed my plans," said Letang, who was added Monday to the All-Star Game roster and will join teammate Evgeni Malkin this weekend in Ottawa.
"To be part of those guys, all those future Hall of Famers, it's an honor," Letang said, "and it's going to be a great weekend."
The defenseman will replace Winnipeg's Dustin Byfuglien, who has a knee injury. Letang was an all-star last year, but this time his selection was somewhat unexpected because he was out 21 games with a concussion.
"I was surprised," he said. "I missed almost half of the (season's) first half."
Letang has five goals and 18 assists in 25 games, including two goals and two assists in his three games since returning from injury.
The All-Star Game will be played at 4 p.m. Sunday, at Scotiabank Place. Edmonton forward Jordan Eberle also was added to the roster Monday, replacing Minnesota's Mikko Koivu.
The all-stars will be divided Thursday evening into two teams by captains Daniel Alfredsson of Ottawa and Zdeno Chara of Boston.
NHL honors Malkin
Malkin was named the NHL's first star of the week.
He had five goals and two assists in four games. It was the third time in six weeks that Malkin has won the award.
Malkin and Brooks Orpik missed practice Monday, but coach Dan Bylsma said both were OK, and called them maintenance days.
Arron Asham, who has missed four games, still was out with a concussion.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Penguins notebook: Bennett a healthy scratch
- Stat dropoff, road struggles have Penguins seeking consistency
- Penguins finally break through, defeat Devils at Prudential Center
- Penguins’ Ehrhoff being tested for concussion
- Starkey: What are Penguins, Pirates up to?
- No cross-checking here: Penguins misspell ‘Sidney’
- Lapierre eager to make mark with Penguins
- For Penguins coach Johnston, it’s a matter of substance over style
- Penguins get physical, trade Goc for Blues’ Lapierre
- Crosby banned from Jets game because he missed All-Star Game
- Penguins notebook: Letang’s status vs. Jets uncertain