Tough-minded Asham close to returning to Penguins
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Penguins right winger Arron Asham returned to practice Tuesday. And when he does return to the lineup, Asham isn't planning on changing a thing.
Out since Jan. 15 with a concussion, Asham, who has missed significant time during each of the past two seasons with concussions, won't hesitate to drop the gloves when necessary.
"I had to (fight) to get into the league, and I'll do it to stay in the league," said Asham, who believes he will be ready to return this weekend in Philadelphia or Buffalo. "It's a part of the game and a part of my job. I'm not worried about it."
Asham sustained the concussion Jan. 11 in Washington. He played two more games, in Florida and Tampa Bay, but noticed during the game against the Lightning that he felt nauseous. He was diagnosed with a concussion two days later.
Asham said he has never received a concussion from a fight. Being sidelined by a concussion last season helped Asham deal with his recent symptoms.
"Last year, I was laying at home not knowing what was going on," Asham said. "This one I knew what to do, and I'm feeling good now."
> > Center Sidney Crosby skated with strength and conditioning coach Mike Kadar following Tuesday's practice. No known timetable exists regarding when Crosby may return to the lineup, although he has skated almost daily since returning to practice with the Penguins on Jan. 13 in Florida.
> > Comcast digital customers can enjoy a free NHL Center Ice preview this week until Sunday night. These games are available on channels 771-784 in traditional Comcast areas and channels 531-544 in former Adelphia areas. Customers can order the Race to the Cup package, which lasts through the end of the regular season, for $79.90.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Cole working to become Penguins’ next Martin on defense
- Penguins see Stars, blanked by Dallas in opening game
- Penguins notebook: Superstitious Sprong begins with confidence
- With a few older players on roster, Penguins hope to get better with age
- Penguins notebook: Dupuis ruled out of season opener
- Penguins rally in wake of Dupuis injury
- Penguins notebook: Crosby will `always remember’ NHL debut
- Trib NHL predictions for 2015-16
- Penguins make moves in advance of roster deadline