Tough-minded Asham close to returning to Penguins
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Penguins right winger Arron Asham returned to practice Tuesday. And when he does return to the lineup, Asham isn't planning on changing a thing.
Out since Jan. 15 with a concussion, Asham, who has missed significant time during each of the past two seasons with concussions, won't hesitate to drop the gloves when necessary.
"I had to (fight) to get into the league, and I'll do it to stay in the league," said Asham, who believes he will be ready to return this weekend in Philadelphia or Buffalo. "It's a part of the game and a part of my job. I'm not worried about it."
Asham sustained the concussion Jan. 11 in Washington. He played two more games, in Florida and Tampa Bay, but noticed during the game against the Lightning that he felt nauseous. He was diagnosed with a concussion two days later.
Asham said he has never received a concussion from a fight. Being sidelined by a concussion last season helped Asham deal with his recent symptoms.
"Last year, I was laying at home not knowing what was going on," Asham said. "This one I knew what to do, and I'm feeling good now."
> > Center Sidney Crosby skated with strength and conditioning coach Mike Kadar following Tuesday's practice. No known timetable exists regarding when Crosby may return to the lineup, although he has skated almost daily since returning to practice with the Penguins on Jan. 13 in Florida.
> > Comcast digital customers can enjoy a free NHL Center Ice preview this week until Sunday night. These games are available on channels 771-784 in traditional Comcast areas and channels 531-544 in former Adelphia areas. Customers can order the Race to the Cup package, which lasts through the end of the regular season, for $79.90.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Steelers veteran linebacker Harrison focused on stretch run
- Friends, family, history lure natives back to Western Pennsylvania
- Crosby scores twice, Malkin delivers OT goal as Penguins beat Blues
- Steelers notebook: Tomlin ends practice with third-down work
- Pirates sign free agent 1B-OF Goebbert, RHP Webster
- Penguins co-owner Lemieux snuffs rumored rift with Crosby
- Starkey: Artie Rowell’s incredible odyssey
- Artis leads Pitt to lopsided victory over Cornell
- Emotional send-off awaits Pitt seniors
- Online sales, promotions give Pittsburgh-area stores global reach
- Puppies’ eyes glued shut, South Huntingdon animal shelter says