Penguins make the call to minor leagues for winger Tangradi
The Penguins recalled left wing Eric Tangradi from Wilkes-Barre/Scranton, and he played on the fourth line against the New York Rangers on Tuesday.
Tangradi's promotion came as something of a surprise, as none of the Penguins' forwards had sustained injuries Sunday in Buffalo. Coach Dan Bylsma said Tangradi's size and ability to deliver punishing hits could be useful in the Penguins' lineup.
"We feel that our third and fourth lines need that presence," Bylsma said.
Tangradi has been the subject of trade rumors for years but disregarded the possibility that he could be leaving the organization soon.
"Once you get into pro hockey," Tangradi said, "you realize it's a business. Part of a business is dealing with different distractions."
> > Defenseman Brooks Orpik did not play Tuesday night because of what the Penguins called an "upper-body" injury, which apparently took place Sunday. Bylsma said he does not believe the injury is serious. Orpik, who recently has undergone two abdominal surgeries, was replaced in the lineup by Ben Lovejoy.
> > Goaltender Brent Johnson was unavailable against the Rangers because of an illness. He was replaced by the Penguins' regular AHL starter, Brad Thiessen.
> > Rangers left wing Mike Rupp, who played the previous two seasons with the Penguins, apologized to center Jordan Staal via text message in the days following Staal's knee injury Jan. 7. Rupp used his knee to hit Staal in the knee, tearing Staal's left MCL.
> > Centers Dustin Jeffrey and Cal O'Reilly were healthy scratches Tuesday night.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Penguins’ Ehrhoff being tested for concussion
- Stat dropoff, road struggles have Penguins seeking consistency
- Starkey: What are Penguins, Pirates up to?
- Lapierre eager to make mark with Penguins
- For Penguins coach Johnston, it’s a matter of substance over style
- Penguins notebook: Johnston pleased with Downie’s all-around play
- Capitals dominate overmatched Penguins in win at Verizon Center
- No cross-checking here: Penguins misspell ‘Sidney’
- Penguins get physical, trade Goc for Blues’ Lapierre
- Crosby banned from Jets game because he missed All-Star Game
- Penguins notebook: Crosby understands NHL’s reasoning for ban