Pens' Niskanen still out of lineup
The Penguins again played without defenseman Matt Niskanen, who has been out of the lineup since sustaining an upper-body injury on April 2 in Boston. Unlike previous days this week, Niskanen did not skate on Friday. Coach Dan Bylsma said a day off from skating was part of Niskanen's scheduled rehabilitation.
D Deryk Engelland continues to skate with D Ben Lovejoy while Niskanen recuperates from his injury. Engelland has been forced to play the left side of the defensive pair • something new for him • during each of his first two playoff games.
"It's been an adjustment," Engelland said. "But it hasn't been that bad."
-- The Penguins curiously started Engelland and D Paul Martin to start the game. Those two generally don't play together, but the plan worked as Engelland made the outlet pass that triggered C Sidney Crosby's goal just 15 seconds into regulation.
-- Crosby's goal at the 15-second mark of the opening period tied a Penguins record for the fastest goal to begin a playoff game. Greg Malone also scored 15 seconds into a 1981 playoff game.
-- RW Pascal Dupuis' career-long scoring streak continued in Game 2. Although Dupuis' 17-game scoring streak at the end of the regular season does not officially extend into the postseason, he now has points in 19 straight games.
-- Martin's goal with 18 seconds remaining in the first period was his first with the Penguins in the postseason. The tally also represents his first goal in Consol Energy Center. During the past two seasons, Martin has scored five goals with the Penguins, all on the road.
Game 2 Penguins vs. Flyers 4/13⁄11
The Flyers defeat the Penguins, 8-5, in Game 2 of their Stanley Cup playoff series.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Healthy again, Penguins’ Dupuis eager for game action
- Penguins notebook: Wild beat Pens behind Pominville’s hat trick
- Penguins notebook: Scuderi OK with new defensive system
- Ex-assistant Granato: No animosity toward Penguins
- With analytics, NHL is whole new game
- Penguins’ Kapanen bolsters chance to make team in exhibition win
- Penguins notebook: Injury to sideline Bennett 6 weeks
- Penguins notebook: Consol ice still a matter of concern
- Veteran right winger Adams fighting for roster spot with Penguins
- Penguins blanked at Columbus, 2-0
- Penguins’ Kapanen impressing under tutelage of Maatta