Pirates cut 11 players
Bradenton, Fla. -- The Pirates sent 11 players to their minor-league complex today, reducing the number of players in their major-league camp to 48.
Optioned off the 40-man roster to Class AAA Indianapolis was outfielder Rajai Davis. Optioned to Class AA Altoona were pitchers Dave Davidson, Romulo Sanchez and Josh Shortslef, outfielder Nyjer Morgan and infielder Javier Guzman.
Non-roster invitees reassigned included pitchers Allan Simpson and Franquelis Osoria, catcher Carlos Maldonado, infielder Eddy Garabito and outfielder Vic Buttler.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates’ McCutchen leaves game early, says he is not hurt
- Pirates planning on maximizing the versatility of Rodriguez
- Pirates notebook: Richard doesn’t exercise opt-out clause in contract
- Reliever Hughes takes plenty of pride in being Pirates’ middle man
- Spring training breakdown: Pirates 3, Orioles 3, 10 inns.
- Pirates’ search for division title rests on starting rotation’s health
- Pirates notebook: Reliever Holdzkom among three players cut
- Pirates again approach Polanco about contract extension
- Alvarez latest in Pirates’ revolving door at first base
- Spring training breakdown: Pirates 4, Braves 2
- Pirates’ outfield may have few defensive peers