Pirates in no rush to recall Cota
Catcher Humberto Cota (shoulder) had played seven games at Triple-A Indianapolis entering Wednesday as part of a rehabilitation assignment, but there appears to be no timetable for his return. Cota, who was eligible to come off the 15-day disabled list May 8, was hitting .353 (6 for 17) with four RBI for the Indians before last night.
"I don't think it's a bad thing that he's there," manager Jim Tracy said. "He's catching on a regular basis and getting regular at-bats."
Third baseman Jose Bautista (ankle) is still out of the starting lineup. Bautista, who has hit off a tee, was scheduled to take batting practice and field ground balls before yesterday's game, but his workout was canceled because of rain.
Ryan Doumit, hitting .397, did not start yesterday for the first time since May 4. Tracy said he sat Doumit against Marlins starter Scott Olsen because of his .267 average against lefties.
1 - Home runs by the Pirates in the first five games of their 10-game homestand. Ronny Paulino's long ball Monday night broke a streak of 38 innings without a home run by the Pirates at PNC Park.
9 - Home runs hit by the Pirates at home this season before last night's game. That was the third-lowest total in the major leagues behind St. Louis (6) and Washington (8).
- By Jim Rodenbush
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Cole shuts down Diamondbacks as Pirates open road trip with victory
- Pirates notebook: McCutchen unfazed by return to Arizona
- Pirates look to continue success in cross-country trips
- Gameday: Pirates at Diamondbacks, April 25, 2015
- Polanco, bullpen come up clutch as Pirates capture win over Cubs
- Super-agent Boras says Pirates will have opportunity to re-sign Alvarez, Cole
- Pirates notebook: Fan struck by foul ball released from hospital
- Pirates notebook: Marte, McCutchen out of starting lineup in series finale
- Pitchers Worley, Watson work out of jams to help Pirates knock off Cubs
- Pirates notebook: No demotion for closer Melancon
- Gameday: Pirates vs. Cubs April 23, 2015