Chacon gets nod as Pirates' new fifth starter
Shawn Chacon is the new No. 5 starter and will pitch Saturday against Cincinnati. The move was in small part a reward for Chacon's positive attitude when he began the season in the bullpen.
"That's why I kept that attitude," Chacon said. "I know it's a long season, and that things change and things happen. I also know that if I'd had a bad attitude about, I wouldn't have been given this opportunity."
Chacon has not pitched since Thursday, and he is still available to toss an inning in relief. Manager Jim Tracy said Chacon likely would be limited to 75-80 pitches Saturday.
"He can do a lot with 80 pitches, if he's throwing the ball like he has been," Tracy said.
• Jose Bautista batted leadoff last night for the first time this year. He hit in that spot in 44 games last season.
"He's seeing the ball extremely well and getting on base," Tracy said.
• Chris Duffy was not in the lineup.
"That has nothing to do with us being down on Duff," Tracy said.
Rather, it was a way to get both Xavier Nady and Ryan Doumit, who both are hitting well, into the lineup. Nady started in center field, and Doumit was in right.
• Duffy likely will be back in the lineup tonight, with Doumit spelling Ronny Paulino at catcher.
.153 - Chris Duffy's batting average in 16 games in May.
.264 - Duffy's batting average in April.
- By Rob Biertempfel
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Rossi: Pirates can’t waste McCutchen’s prime
- Pirates’ Martin calls crowd chant ‘pretty special’
- Pirates notebook: Nutting says team may ‘stretch’ for Martin
- Bumgarner quiets Blackout crowd with 4-hit shutout
- Ex-Pirate Tekulve: PNC Park reception ‘unbelievable’
- Giants’ Crawford makes history with slam
- Giants, Bumgarner shut out Pirates in wild-card game
- Inside the decision: Pirates chose their own adventure
- Pirates notebook: GM Huntington says team will stretch payroll to retain Martin
- Rossi: Pirates plan to carry Hurdle deep into playoffs
- Pirates notebook: Martin feels ‘pretty good,’ will start vs. Giants