Chacon gets nod as Pirates' new fifth starter
Shawn Chacon is the new No. 5 starter and will pitch Saturday against Cincinnati. The move was in small part a reward for Chacon's positive attitude when he began the season in the bullpen.
"That's why I kept that attitude," Chacon said. "I know it's a long season, and that things change and things happen. I also know that if I'd had a bad attitude about, I wouldn't have been given this opportunity."
Chacon has not pitched since Thursday, and he is still available to toss an inning in relief. Manager Jim Tracy said Chacon likely would be limited to 75-80 pitches Saturday.
"He can do a lot with 80 pitches, if he's throwing the ball like he has been," Tracy said.
• Jose Bautista batted leadoff last night for the first time this year. He hit in that spot in 44 games last season.
"He's seeing the ball extremely well and getting on base," Tracy said.
• Chris Duffy was not in the lineup.
"That has nothing to do with us being down on Duff," Tracy said.
Rather, it was a way to get both Xavier Nady and Ryan Doumit, who both are hitting well, into the lineup. Nady started in center field, and Doumit was in right.
• Duffy likely will be back in the lineup tonight, with Doumit spelling Ronny Paulino at catcher.
.153 - Chris Duffy's batting average in 16 games in May.
.264 - Duffy's batting average in April.
- By Rob Biertempfel
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates willing to consider high salary to keep star McCutchen
- Pirates notebook: Nutting expects club to win division title
- Pirates’ Alvarez eager to prove he can play first, regain power stroke
- Pirates notebook: Mercer gains celebrity in Kang’s home country
- Pirates notebook: Team has big plans for newcomer Kang
- Pirates looking at ways to make McCutchen’s off days more productive
- Team interaction important to Pirates veteran pitcher Burnett
- The Starting Nine: Silver linings for Alvarez
- North Side start-up takes swing at mapping hitters
- Pirates acquire ex-Marlins reliever
- Spring training crash course key for new Pirates catcher Cervelli