Pirates sign two 2006 draft-and-follow players
By The The Tribune-Review
Published: Friday, June 1, 2007
The Pirates signed two draft-and-follow players from the 2006 draft. They came terms with Ryan Kelly, a right-hander from Hilton Head (S.C.) High, and Rudy Owens, a left-hander from Mesa (Ariz.) High. Kelly was the Pirates' 26th round pick; Owens was chosen in the 28th round.
* Ryan Doumit was in the starting lineup last night at catcher. It was his first time behind the plate since Friday, when he was twice knocked in the head by Cincinnati Reds batters.
* Ronny Paulino has hit safely in six of his past eight games. He is batting .343 against left-handed pitchers.
* Today, Salomon Torres will visit Hatfield Elementary School in Uniontown. Torres will pick up 12 boxes of donated equipment for his baseball academy in the Dominican Republic. Torres also will meet with the fifth-grade class, which collected the equipment.
* The Class AA Altoona Curve expect to draw their 3 millionth fan at tonight's game at Blair County Ballpark. If the crowd is more than 3,338 -- putting the Curve over the 3 million mark -- one fan at the game will be chosen at random to receive two season tickets for life.
11 - Saves by Salomon Torres in the first 33 games of the season
1 - Save by Torres in 18 games since
- By Rob Biertempfel
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates notebook: Walker’s razor a right-handed swing solution
- Breaking down Thursday’s Pirates-Brewers game
- Cueto gets best of Bucs, as Reds take series
- Pirates notebook: Wandy Rodriguez experiencing decline in fastball velocity
- Polanco off to red-hot start at Triple-A Indianapolis
- Stats Corner: Pedro adds contact, patience to power game
- Biertempfel: Expect less yelling with MLB’s replay system
- Pirates notebook: Facing lefties rare occurrence
- Pirates notebook: Gomez eyes ‘more aggressive’ style
- One-time Bucs pitching prospect now a promising power hitter
- Pirates gameday