Pirates sign two 2006 draft-and-follow players
The Pirates signed two draft-and-follow players from the 2006 draft. They came terms with Ryan Kelly, a right-hander from Hilton Head (S.C.) High, and Rudy Owens, a left-hander from Mesa (Ariz.) High. Kelly was the Pirates' 26th round pick; Owens was chosen in the 28th round.
* Ryan Doumit was in the starting lineup last night at catcher. It was his first time behind the plate since Friday, when he was twice knocked in the head by Cincinnati Reds batters.
* Ronny Paulino has hit safely in six of his past eight games. He is batting .343 against left-handed pitchers.
* Today, Salomon Torres will visit Hatfield Elementary School in Uniontown. Torres will pick up 12 boxes of donated equipment for his baseball academy in the Dominican Republic. Torres also will meet with the fifth-grade class, which collected the equipment.
* The Class AA Altoona Curve expect to draw their 3 millionth fan at tonight's game at Blair County Ballpark. If the crowd is more than 3,338 -- putting the Curve over the 3 million mark -- one fan at the game will be chosen at random to receive two season tickets for life.
11 - Saves by Salomon Torres in the first 33 games of the season
1 - Save by Torres in 18 games since
- By Rob Biertempfel
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Harrison’s ‘magic’ has helped to carry Pirates into MLB’s postseason
- Volquez latest rehabbed arm to get ball on big stage for Pirates
- Rossi: Pirates plan to carry Hurdle deep into playoffs
- Pirates notebook: Martin feels ‘pretty good,’ will start vs. Giants
- Scouting report: Giants at Pirates
- Pirates analyst Kent Tekulve recovering after heart transplant
- Thursday’s scouting report: Pirates at Braves
- Do Pirates have what it takes to end World Series drought?
- Pitcher Cueto, Reds dash Pirates’ division title hopes in finale