MRA negative for Bucs' Torres
An MRA (arthrogram) on Salomon Torres' right elbow Monday revealed no structural damage. Torres has tendinitis in the elbow and will see team physician Dr. Patrick DeMeo today for further evaluation.
Right fielder/catcher Ryan Doumit had a soft splint removed from his sprained left wrist Tuesday and was cleared to begin strength work.
Shortstop Jack Wilson's right shin is still sore and swollen from the collision at second base Sunday in Houston. Wilson received treatment and walked on the leg yesterday. Before the doubleheader against the Cincinnati Reds, manager Jim Tracy didn't rule out Wilson as a pinch-hitter.
Left-handed pitcher Zach Duke (elbow) will throw in the bullpen today at PNC Park before making a rehabilitation start Saturday at Triple-A Indianapolis. Duke, who threw 60 pitches Monday in Bradenton of the Gulf Coast League, is eligible to come off the 60-day disabled list today. He could feasibly start Sept. 6 against the St. Louis Cardinals at PNC Park.
Center fielder Chris Duffy (shoulder) will visit Dr. Lewis Yocum, the team physician for the Los Angeles Angels, today in California, while pitcher Sean Burnett, who was 4-6 with a 4.48 ERA at Triple-A Indianapolis, will see noted orthopedist Dr. James Andrews in Birmingham, Ala., about a sore left elbow that was surgically repaired before the 2005 season.
Right-hander Tony Armas is scheduled to start Friday, and left-hander Shane Youman is penciled in for Saturday at Milwaukee.
31 - Years since the Reds swept the Pirates in a doubleheader (July 9, 1976).
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Blue Jays’ Martin has ‘nothing but praise’ for former Pirates teammates
- Surgeon to examine Pirates’ Cumpton after pitcher experienced elbow discomfort
- Pirates special instructor Tekulve taking second chance to heart
- Rossi: Fitting in will be Kang’s biggest hurdle
- Pirates notebook: Hart ‘down a few days’ after cutting foot
- Spring training breakdown: Pirates 8, Blue Jays 7
- Pirates starting pitcher Worley is in right place, right time with team
- Sawchik: Should McCutchen really get a huge salary bump?
- Pirates notebook: Infield prospect Hanson used to playing elders
- Ex-Brewers star Hart hopes to prove to Pirates he still can play
- Burnett’s farewell tour wishlist has just 1 item: Pirates World Series