Pirates to tender contracts to five players
Pirates general manager Neal Huntington today said the team will tender contracts to all five of its arbitration-eligible players.
Freddy Sanchez, Adam LaRoche, Xavier Nady and John Grabow each are in their second year of arbitration eligibility. Jose Bautista is eligible for the first time.
Any eligible player who is not tendered by midnight tomorrow becomes a free agent.
Last season, the Pirates tendered eight players and wound up negotiating one-year contracts with each of them before the arbitration hearings began.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.
We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.
While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.
We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers.
We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.
We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.
We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.
We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.
- Sawchik: Should Pirates be concerned about their defense?
- Pirates’ anemic offense fails in extra-inning loss to Cardinals
- Pirates minor league report: Curve wait for rotation adversity
- Biertempfel: Despite Wainwright injury, Cardinals still considered favorite in NL Central
- Pirates notebook: Burnett shrugs off moving up all-time strikeout list
- Gameday: Pirates at Cardinals, May 3, 2015
- Pirates notebook: Hurdle says playing 1 position should benefit Harrison
- Pirates’ decision to walk bases loaded backfires in 10th
- Hurdle says Pirates’ starters will get more time off as season unfolds
- Pirates facing more offspeed pitches, fewer fastballs this season
- Undefeated Cole makes case as Pirates staff ace, stopper