Pirates to tender contracts to five players
Pirates general manager Neal Huntington today said the team will tender contracts to all five of its arbitration-eligible players.
Freddy Sanchez, Adam LaRoche, Xavier Nady and John Grabow each are in their second year of arbitration eligibility. Jose Bautista is eligible for the first time.
Any eligible player who is not tendered by midnight tomorrow becomes a free agent.
Last season, the Pirates tendered eight players and wound up negotiating one-year contracts with each of them before the arbitration hearings began.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates pitcher Worley is in right place, right time with team
- Pirates notebook: Sadler gets first Grapefruit start
- Burnett’s farewell tour wishlist has just 1 item: Pirates World Series
- Pirates notebook: Infield prospect Hanson used to playing elders
- Sawchik: Should McCutchen really get a huge salary bump?
- Pirates notebook: Tabata rediscovering his power
- Ex-Brewers star Hart hopes to prove to Pirates he still can play
- Pirates willing to consider high salary to keep star McCutchen
- Pirates acquire ex-Marlins reliever
- Pirates notebook: Mercer gains celebrity in Kang’s home country
- Team interaction important to Pirates veteran pitcher Burnett