Pirates to tender contracts to five players
Pirates general manager Neal Huntington today said the team will tender contracts to all five of its arbitration-eligible players.
Freddy Sanchez, Adam LaRoche, Xavier Nady and John Grabow each are in their second year of arbitration eligibility. Jose Bautista is eligible for the first time.
Any eligible player who is not tendered by midnight tomorrow becomes a free agent.
Last season, the Pirates tendered eight players and wound up negotiating one-year contracts with each of them before the arbitration hearings began.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates notebook: Cole to make rehab start at Indianapolis on Monday
- Saturday’s scouting report: Pirates at Rockies
- Rockies’ 7-run 7th-inning dooms Pirates in 8-1 loss
- Mile-high edge? Hurdle knows Coors Field
- Pirates’ Melancon has been consistent since moving into closer’s role
- Monday’s scouting report: Dodgers at Pirates
- Statistically speaking: Rockies’ bullpen suffering meltdowns
- Pirates complete sweep of Rockies with comeback win at PNC
- Pirates notebook: Huntington staying patient as trade deadline approaches
- Dodgers rough up rusty starter Volquez, knock off Pirates at PNC Park
- Pirates notebook: Polanco, Puig held out of series opener