Pirates release Byung-Hyun Kim, acquire Yates for Redmond
The Pirates this morning traded for a reliever, released Byung-Hyun Kim and made a flurry of other roster moves.
The Pirates acquired right-hander Tyler Yates from the Atlanta Braves in exchange for righty Todd Redmond.
Yates, 29, made a career-high 75 appearances last season and went 2-3 with two saves and a 5.18 ERA. Yates likely will be a set-up man for closer Matt Capps.
"He pitched in the back end of the Braves' bullpen last year, struggled at the midpoint (of the season) and then had a solid August," general manager Neal Huntington said. "He's a guy with some power stuff, which brings a nice complement to our bullpen."
Redmond, 22, was one of the Pirates' top starting pitching prospects and had been slated to begin the season at Double-A Altoona.
Kim had a disappointing spring, allowing five home runs in five innings pitched. After the Pirates bought out his contract for $300,000, Kim was unconditionally released.
Doug Mientkiewicz, who arrived in spring training camp as a non-roster invitee, has earned a spot on the bench. To clear a spot on the 40-man roster, infielder Josh Wilson, of Mt. Lebanon, was designated for assignment.
Right-hander Jaret Wright was told he will not make the 25-man roster. Wright left the clubhouse quickly and must decide whether to accept an assignment to Triple-A Indianapolis or become a free agent.
Reliever Juan Perez was unconditionally released to clear space for Yates on the 40-man roster. The Pirates hope to re-sign Perez, who has been slowed by a sore elbow, to a minor league contract.
Infielder Jorge Velandia was reassigned to minor league camp.
Huntington said the departures of Wilson and Velandia do not necessarily indicate second baseman Freddy Sanchez will be ready to play on opening day. Sanchez will be re-examined today by team doctors. If Sanchez must begin the season on the disabled list, infielder Brian Bixler would be called up from Triple-A.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Marte’s bat, Worley’s arm show improvement in Pirates win
- Sanchez odd man out with Pirates recalling Stewart
- Gameday: Pirates vs./at Opponent, Month Day, Year
- Pirates get ready to face Brewers pitcher Nelson, hope for better results
- Pirates love home cooking provided at PNC Park
- Pirates’ Melancon isn’t worried about drop in velocity
- Gameday: Pirates vs. Brewers, April 17, 2015
- Spared bullpen role for now, Pirates’ Worley eager to retain rotation spot
- Pirates notebook: Burnett, Cervelli rekindle bond
- Pirates’ Harrison working to use 2014 success as building block
- Pirates’ Cole works to bring past 2nd-half success to season start