Bucs' Wilson to come off DL Tuesday
Shortstop Jack Wilson will be activated from the disabled list Tuesday, when the Pirates begin a three-game series in Cincinnati. Wilson has been out since April 3, when he strained his right calf in a game against Atlanta. Today, Wilson will play the final game of his rehab assignment with Double-A Altoona.
Rookie Brian Bixler, who has not started a game since last Tuesday, will be sent back to Triple-A Indianapolis when Wilson returns. Bixler made 24 starts at short for the Pirates and hit .175 with two RBI.
The Pirates, who have the second overall pick in the June 5 draft, have narrowed their candidate pool to five players. The top three, in no particular order, are Vanderbilt third baseman Pedro Alvarez, Griffin (Ga.) High shortstop Tim Beckham and Florida State catcher Buster Posey.
Alvarez, who has been rated as the top prospect in the draft, will be advised by Scott Boras and reportedly wants an $8 million signing bonus. General manager Neal Huntington said there is no mandate from ownership to limit the Pirates' picks based on signability.
"If Player 1 on our list wants three times what Player 2 on our list wants, we have to take that into consideration," Huntington said. "But we're not going to be scared away by any particular agent or signing bonus request."
Jason Bay's game-winning single in the 14th inning Saturday was the first walk-off hit of his career.
13 -- Errors by Pirates shortstops in 47 games while Jack Wilson has been on the DL.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates notebook: Sanchez returns to Bucs in offensive slump
- Tuesday’s scouting report: Pirates at Cardinals
- Cardinals grab victory over pitcher Cole, Pirates with a late rally
- Pirates notebook: Lambo recalled to bolster bench
- RF Heisey, Reds avert sweep with a victory over Pirates at PNC Park
- Monday’s scouting report: Pirates at Cardinals
- Pirates top Cardinals, 5-2, on Davis’ homer; Alvarez, McCutchen hurt
- Pirates notebook: McCutchen returns to starting lineup; Alvarez out
- Pirates minor league report: Bell concluding breakout season
- Pirates notebook: Bucs unlikely to make trade before deadline