Bucs' Wilson to come off DL Tuesday
Shortstop Jack Wilson will be activated from the disabled list Tuesday, when the Pirates begin a three-game series in Cincinnati. Wilson has been out since April 3, when he strained his right calf in a game against Atlanta. Today, Wilson will play the final game of his rehab assignment with Double-A Altoona.
Rookie Brian Bixler, who has not started a game since last Tuesday, will be sent back to Triple-A Indianapolis when Wilson returns. Bixler made 24 starts at short for the Pirates and hit .175 with two RBI.
The Pirates, who have the second overall pick in the June 5 draft, have narrowed their candidate pool to five players. The top three, in no particular order, are Vanderbilt third baseman Pedro Alvarez, Griffin (Ga.) High shortstop Tim Beckham and Florida State catcher Buster Posey.
Alvarez, who has been rated as the top prospect in the draft, will be advised by Scott Boras and reportedly wants an $8 million signing bonus. General manager Neal Huntington said there is no mandate from ownership to limit the Pirates' picks based on signability.
"If Player 1 on our list wants three times what Player 2 on our list wants, we have to take that into consideration," Huntington said. "But we're not going to be scared away by any particular agent or signing bonus request."
Jason Bay's game-winning single in the 14th inning Saturday was the first walk-off hit of his career.
13 -- Errors by Pirates shortstops in 47 games while Jack Wilson has been on the DL.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates’ Melancon has been consistent since moving into closer’s role
- Friday’s scouting report: Pirates at Rockies
- Statistically speaking: Rockies’ bullpen suffering meltdowns
- Pirates notebook: Recovering Cole exceeds expectations in simulated game
- Pirates notebook: Huntington staying patient as trade deadline approaches
- Rossi: Liriano no ace, but he’s Bucs’ key
- Selig: Pirates’ rebirth a positive step for baseball
- Pirates notebook: Phillies’ Burnett not demanding trade
- Minor league notebook: Disciplined Hanson back on field
- A quest to get to core of MLB oblique injury trend
- Mercer’s run-scoring double in 11th lifts Pirates over Rockies