Snell likely to avoid DL
Pirates right-hander Ian Snell's sore right elbow likely will not land him on the disabled list.
But it will keep him off the golf course.
Results of a magnetic resonance imaging arthography performed Monday morning showed no structural damage in Snell's elbow. Snell was diagnosed with medial epicondylitis, also known as "golfer's elbow."
Snell's status is listed as day-to-day, and all indications are he will not be placed on the disabled list. However, the Pirates may decide to skip Snell's next scheduled start Friday against Tampa Bay.
"Probably, he'll only have to miss one start," general manager Neal Huntington said. "Hopefully, we can avoid the disabled list."
Surgery is considered only as a rare, last resort in cases of golfer's elbow that does not in the long term respond well to either rest, rehab or a cortisone injection.
Snell pitched just four innings Sunday in an 8-5 loss against the Toronto Blue Jays and gave up four runs and eight hits. Snell is 3-7 with a 5.99 ERA, and has lost five of his past seven starts.
Also yesterday morning, left-hander Phil Dumatrait was diagnosed with left shoulder bursitis after having an MRI at Allegheny General Hospital.
"The best part of that news is that (the injury) does not involve his rotator cuff," Huntington said.
Dumatrait was placed on the 15-day DL on Sunday. He is expected to be back July 5, the first day he is eligible to be activated.
John Van Benschoten likely will be recalled from Triple-A Indianapolis to start Friday against the Rays. As for Saturday's game ...
"We're looking at all our options, internal and external," Huntington said.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Gameday: Pirates at Diamondbacks, April 25, 2015
- Pirates look to continue success in cross-country trips
- Pirates notebook: McCutchen unfazed by return to Arizona
- Pirates minor league report: Rapid advancement to test Tucker
- Super-agent Boras says Pirates will have opportunity to re-sign Alvarez, Cole
- Pirates notebook: No demotion for closer Melancon
- Gameday: Pirates vs. Tigers, April 14, 2015
- Pirates notebook: Marte, McCutchen out of starting lineup in series finale
- Polanco, bullpen come up clutch as Pirates capture win over Cubs