Snell likely to avoid DL
Pirates right-hander Ian Snell's sore right elbow likely will not land him on the disabled list.
But it will keep him off the golf course.
Results of a magnetic resonance imaging arthography performed Monday morning showed no structural damage in Snell's elbow. Snell was diagnosed with medial epicondylitis, also known as "golfer's elbow."
Snell's status is listed as day-to-day, and all indications are he will not be placed on the disabled list. However, the Pirates may decide to skip Snell's next scheduled start Friday against Tampa Bay.
"Probably, he'll only have to miss one start," general manager Neal Huntington said. "Hopefully, we can avoid the disabled list."
Surgery is considered only as a rare, last resort in cases of golfer's elbow that does not in the long term respond well to either rest, rehab or a cortisone injection.
Snell pitched just four innings Sunday in an 8-5 loss against the Toronto Blue Jays and gave up four runs and eight hits. Snell is 3-7 with a 5.99 ERA, and has lost five of his past seven starts.
Also yesterday morning, left-hander Phil Dumatrait was diagnosed with left shoulder bursitis after having an MRI at Allegheny General Hospital.
"The best part of that news is that (the injury) does not involve his rotator cuff," Huntington said.
Dumatrait was placed on the 15-day DL on Sunday. He is expected to be back July 5, the first day he is eligible to be activated.
John Van Benschoten likely will be recalled from Triple-A Indianapolis to start Friday against the Rays. As for Saturday's game ...
"We're looking at all our options, internal and external," Huntington said.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates notebook: Hurdle weighs trio at 1st base
- Wednesday’s scouting report: Braves at Pirates
- CF McCutchen returns to lineup, but Braves blast fast-fading Pirates
- Tuesday’s scouting report: Braves at Pirates
- Pirates’ losing streak extended to 6 games
- Pirates’ McCutchen expects to play Tuesday; Alvarez to start at 1B
- Biertempfel: With McCutchen sidelined, Kershaw becomes NL MVP front-runner
- Friday’s scouting report: Pirates at Nationals
- Saturday’s scouting report: Pirates at Nationals
- Pirates notebook: Team claims Indians’ Axford off waivers