Notebook: Shoulder sidelines Bucs' Nady
• Right fielder Xavier Nady (bruised shoulder) was not in the starting lineup Friday against Tampa Bay. After a nine-game absence, Nady started Thursday's rain-shortened game against the Yankees and struck out in his only at-bat. "He's a little sore," manager John Russell said. "But we knew, with that type of injury, it's going to be an as-tolerated type of thing."
• Adam LaRoche, who is batting .192 against lefties, was given the night off against Tampa Bay's Scott Kazmir. In his career, Kazmir had held left-handed batters to a .211 average.
• Right-hander Ryan Drese signed as a free agent and was assigned to Triple-A Indianapolis. Drese, 32, had been playing in the independent Atlantic League. He last pitched in the majors in 2006 with the Washington Nationals.
• Shortstop Jordy Mercer and third baseman Matt Hague were promoted from short-season State College to Single-A Lynchburg. Mercer and Hague were the third- and ninth-round draft picks, respectively, this year.
• Because of Thursday's rainout, the series with the Yankees officially was a two-game series. The total attendance of 77,819 was a PNC Park record for a two-game set, surpassing the 73,585 who saw two games against Milwaukee in May 2001.
5 -- Sellouts at PNC Park last season.
3 -- Sellouts so far this season.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates notebook: Taillon headed for surgery, Richard traded
- Pirates can’t overcome long rain delay, Indians in interleague setback
- Gameday: Pirates vs. Indians, July 4, 2015
- Long toss is considered valuable tool for MLB pitchers’ arm health
- Shaken by economic, political turmoil, MLB forsaking Venezuela
- Gameday: Pirates vs. Indians, July 3, 2015
- Liriano, Pirates complete sweep of Tigers
- Pirates notebook: Pitchers’ ploys force Kang to adapt
- Liriano dominates former team as Pirates rout White Sox
- Pirates minor league report: Kramer comes with power potential with short-season Black Bears