Notebook: Shoulder sidelines Bucs' Nady
• Right fielder Xavier Nady (bruised shoulder) was not in the starting lineup Friday against Tampa Bay. After a nine-game absence, Nady started Thursday's rain-shortened game against the Yankees and struck out in his only at-bat. "He's a little sore," manager John Russell said. "But we knew, with that type of injury, it's going to be an as-tolerated type of thing."
• Adam LaRoche, who is batting .192 against lefties, was given the night off against Tampa Bay's Scott Kazmir. In his career, Kazmir had held left-handed batters to a .211 average.
• Right-hander Ryan Drese signed as a free agent and was assigned to Triple-A Indianapolis. Drese, 32, had been playing in the independent Atlantic League. He last pitched in the majors in 2006 with the Washington Nationals.
• Shortstop Jordy Mercer and third baseman Matt Hague were promoted from short-season State College to Single-A Lynchburg. Mercer and Hague were the third- and ninth-round draft picks, respectively, this year.
• Because of Thursday's rainout, the series with the Yankees officially was a two-game series. The total attendance of 77,819 was a PNC Park record for a two-game set, surpassing the 73,585 who saw two games against Milwaukee in May 2001.
5 -- Sellouts at PNC Park last season.
3 -- Sellouts so far this season.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pitcher Arrieta, Cubs shut down Pirates in victory at PNC Park
- Pirates notebook: Liriano shrugs off rain-ruined start
- Gameday: Pirates vs. Cubs Aug. 5, 2015
- Pirates notebook: Trade movement confidence booster for Morse
- Rossi: Pirates foolish to bet on Burnett return
- Rain postpones Pirates-Cubs game
- Pirates pitcher Burnett could return in 4 weeks
- Gameday: Pirates vs. Cubs, August 4, 2015
- Pirates place Burnett on 15-day disabled list
- Mix of ancient, modern techniques help Bucs ace keep pitching
- McCutchen, Pirates cruise to interleague victory over Twins