Notebook: Shoulder sidelines Bucs' Nady
• Right fielder Xavier Nady (bruised shoulder) was not in the starting lineup Friday against Tampa Bay. After a nine-game absence, Nady started Thursday's rain-shortened game against the Yankees and struck out in his only at-bat. "He's a little sore," manager John Russell said. "But we knew, with that type of injury, it's going to be an as-tolerated type of thing."
• Adam LaRoche, who is batting .192 against lefties, was given the night off against Tampa Bay's Scott Kazmir. In his career, Kazmir had held left-handed batters to a .211 average.
• Right-hander Ryan Drese signed as a free agent and was assigned to Triple-A Indianapolis. Drese, 32, had been playing in the independent Atlantic League. He last pitched in the majors in 2006 with the Washington Nationals.
• Shortstop Jordy Mercer and third baseman Matt Hague were promoted from short-season State College to Single-A Lynchburg. Mercer and Hague were the third- and ninth-round draft picks, respectively, this year.
• Because of Thursday's rainout, the series with the Yankees officially was a two-game series. The total attendance of 77,819 was a PNC Park record for a two-game set, surpassing the 73,585 who saw two games against Milwaukee in May 2001.
5 -- Sellouts at PNC Park last season.
3 -- Sellouts so far this season.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Behind Liriano, Pirates complete sweep of Diamondbacks
- Gameday: Pirates at Cubs, April 27, 2015
- Biertempfel: Observations from a day at the ballpark
- Bradenton outfielder Barnes burdened by his body
- Burnett’s stellar start paves way for Pirates’ victory over Diamondbacks
- Pirates notebook: Miffed Melancon finds success, will stick with his routine
- Pirates’ Cole reinforces status as emerging ace
- Pirates notebook: Marte, McCutchen out of starting lineup in series finale
- Pirates look to continue success in cross-country trips
- Sawchik: Young Cubs could threaten for foreseeable future
- Starting Nine: Should Pirates add impact arm?