Pirates cut Bullington
MILWAUKEE -- The Pirates today activated outfielder Chris Duffy from the 60-day disabled list and assigned him to Double-A Altoona.
To clear space for Duffy on the 40-man roster, right-hander Bryan Bullington was designated for assignment.
Bullington, 27, was the No. 1 overall draft pick in 2002, but never lived up to that billing. He pitched in six games with the Pirates over the past three seasons, going 0-3 with a 5.89 ERA. He was called up earlier this season to provide bullpen depth, but was never used in a game.
The Pirates have 10 days to either trade, release or send Bullington outright to the minors.
Duffy, 28, has not played for the Pirates since June 27, 2007, when he injured his left ankle during a game against Florida. In August, he had surgery on his left shoulder.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.
We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.
While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.
We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers.
We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.
We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.
We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.
We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.
- Starkey: Cervelli’s inspiration
- Pirates hope 1st baseman Alvarez starts to regain power stroke
- Gameday: Pirates at Tigers, June 30, 2015
- Late rally falls short, as Pirates can’t complete sweep of Braves
- Pirates notebook: Power shortage continues, Tabata designated for assignment
- McCutchen’s 1st-inning exit with injury mars Pirates’ victory over Braves
- Starting 9: First base continues to prove problematic for Pirates
- Pirates notebook: Red Sox, Phillies pitchers could be on Pirates’ radar
- Biertempfel: Pirates’ Burnett makes pitch for All-Star Game in final season
- Mercer’s walk-off hit gives Pirates 10-inning victory over Braves
- Pirates notebook: Reliever Guerra finally reaches majors as Scahill goes on DL