Notebook: Bucs' McLouth out of lineup
Nate McLouth was not in the lineup Friday after suffering a violently upset stomach during Wednesday's game in Cincinnati. "I spent pretty much all day (Thursday) in bed," McLouth said. "I don't know if it was something I ate or what."
Yesterday morning, Phil Dumatrait's bullpen session went smoothly. It was the second time he'd thrown off the mound since going on the disabled list with bursitis in his shoulder. He will come off the DL Monday and start that night against Houston.
Russell said he doesn't expect first baseman Steve Pearce to get any starts during his brief stay with the team. Pearce was called up Wednesday when Matt Capps went on the DL, and he likely will be sent back to Triple-A when Dumatrait is activated.
Reliever Denny Bautista, who tossed a career-high 3 1⁄3 innings Wednesday, was given yesterday off. Russell also avoided using lefty John Grabow, who had tossed 3 1⁄3 innings over the previous two games.
Right-hander Jimmy Barthmaier was named Triple-A Indianapolis' pitcher of the month for June. Barthmaier went 1-1 with a 2.92 ERA and notched 25 strikeouts in 24 2⁄3 innings.
2 -- Times this season the Pirates have won back-to-back road games
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates notebook: Struggling Polanco held out of starting lineup
- Gameday: Pirates vs. Marlins, May 27, 2015
- Pirates pitcher Morton turns in solid performance in win over Marlins
- Pirates notebook: Morton’s return to Pirates means Liz leaves
- Gameday: Pirates vs. Marlins, May 26, 2015
- Starter Liriano strikes out 12, leads Pirates to series sweep of Mets
- Pirates notebook: Substance rule a sticky subject
- Former pitcher Allie happily adjusting to outfield
- Book details secret to Pirates’ turnaround
- Gameday: Pirates vs. Marlins, May 25, 2014
- Pirates chase Mets’ Harvey early in rout