Notebook: Bucs' McLouth out of lineup
Nate McLouth was not in the lineup Friday after suffering a violently upset stomach during Wednesday's game in Cincinnati. "I spent pretty much all day (Thursday) in bed," McLouth said. "I don't know if it was something I ate or what."
Yesterday morning, Phil Dumatrait's bullpen session went smoothly. It was the second time he'd thrown off the mound since going on the disabled list with bursitis in his shoulder. He will come off the DL Monday and start that night against Houston.
Russell said he doesn't expect first baseman Steve Pearce to get any starts during his brief stay with the team. Pearce was called up Wednesday when Matt Capps went on the DL, and he likely will be sent back to Triple-A when Dumatrait is activated.
Reliever Denny Bautista, who tossed a career-high 3 1⁄3 innings Wednesday, was given yesterday off. Russell also avoided using lefty John Grabow, who had tossed 3 1⁄3 innings over the previous two games.
Right-hander Jimmy Barthmaier was named Triple-A Indianapolis' pitcher of the month for June. Barthmaier went 1-1 with a 2.92 ERA and notched 25 strikeouts in 24 2⁄3 innings.
2 -- Times this season the Pirates have won back-to-back road games
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates sign Corey Hart to 1-year deal
- Ex-Pirate Parker fights against Parkinson’s with optimistic attitude
- Pirates notebook: New catcher Cervelli eager to bond with staff
- Pirates notebook: Trade talks continue, but no deals imminent
- Pirates GM Huntington shifts focus to bullpen help
- MLB notebook: Pirates’ Liriano gets $2 million bonus as part of 3-year, $39 million deal
- Pirates tender deals to 11 players, cut ties with Sanchez
- Rossi: Liriano deal good start for Pirates
- Pirates trade for left-handed reliever Bastardo
- Pirates finalize Liriano’s 3-year, $39 million deal