Notebook: Bucs' McLouth out of lineup
Nate McLouth was not in the lineup Friday after suffering a violently upset stomach during Wednesday's game in Cincinnati. "I spent pretty much all day (Thursday) in bed," McLouth said. "I don't know if it was something I ate or what."
Yesterday morning, Phil Dumatrait's bullpen session went smoothly. It was the second time he'd thrown off the mound since going on the disabled list with bursitis in his shoulder. He will come off the DL Monday and start that night against Houston.
Russell said he doesn't expect first baseman Steve Pearce to get any starts during his brief stay with the team. Pearce was called up Wednesday when Matt Capps went on the DL, and he likely will be sent back to Triple-A when Dumatrait is activated.
Reliever Denny Bautista, who tossed a career-high 31⁄3 innings Wednesday, was given yesterday off. Russell also avoided using lefty John Grabow, who had tossed 31⁄3 innings over the previous two games.
Right-hander Jimmy Barthmaier was named Triple-A Indianapolis' pitcher of the month for June. Barthmaier went 1-1 with a 2.92 ERA and notched 25 strikeouts in 242⁄3 innings.
2 -- Times this season the Pirates have won back-to-back road games
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates notebook: Barmes back, gets start at SS
- Wednesday’s scouting report: Cardinals at Pirates
- Pirates top Cardinals, 5-2, on Davis’ homer; Alvarez, McCutchen hurt
- Pirates send Polanco to Triple-A Indianapolis; Tabata, Barmes return
- Tuesday’s scouting report: Cardinals at Pirates
- Rossi: Pirates showing more this summer
- Monday’s scouting report: Cardinals at Pirates
- Harrison’s 5 RBIs help Pirates pound Brewers
- Pirates notebook: Breakout of catching prospect Diaz a pleasant surprise
- McCutchen says he’s not 100 percent, but ‘good enough’ to play
- Pirates notebook: Alvarez gets lessons at 1st base; Frieri cut