Notebook: Capps' rehab on track
• Closer Matt Capps (shoulder) is scheduled to throw one inning Tuesday for Double-A Altoona. Capps' rehab is slightly ahead of schedule, and he's on track to rejoin the Pirates at the end of August.
• Reliever Tyler Yates was back with the team Friday. Yates had left the team Tuesday to attend to a personal matter in Pittsburgh.
• Catcher Ronny Paulino, who's been out since June with an ankle injury, re-joined Triple-A Indianapolis yesterday. Paulino had been rehabbing in the Gulf Coast League in Bradenton, Fla., providing a familiar target for Capps.
• Reliever Franquelis Osoria and outfielder Chris Duffy cleared waivers and were assigned to Indianapolis. Both were designated for assignment last week to clear space on the 40-man roster after the Jason Bay trade.
• The Pirates signed their 16th-round draft pick, outfielder Wesley Freeman of All Saints Academy high school in Florida.
• The Pirates announced plans to build a $250,000 multipurpose training field at the Pirate City complex in Bradenton, Fla. The grass field is expected to be ready by January.
-- .365 Ryan Doumit's batting average since the All-Star break.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Rossi: Pirates plan to carry Hurdle deep into playoffs
- Pirates notebook: Martin feels ‘pretty good,’ will start vs. Giants
- Volquez latest rehabbed arm to get ball on big stage for Pirates
- Harrison’s ‘magic’ has helped to carry Pirates into MLB’s postseason
- Scouting report: Giants at Pirates
- 20 improbable Pirates wins in 2014
- Inside the decision: Pirates chose their own adventure
- Mercer’s improved defense at shortstop gives Pirates a boost
- Pirates analyst Kent Tekulve recovering after heart transplant
- Pirates take advantage of Reds misplay to secure crucial win, clinch homefield for wild-card game
- Pitcher Cueto, Reds dash Pirates’ division title hopes in finale