Notebook: Capps' rehab on track
• Closer Matt Capps (shoulder) is scheduled to throw one inning Tuesday for Double-A Altoona. Capps' rehab is slightly ahead of schedule, and he's on track to rejoin the Pirates at the end of August.
• Reliever Tyler Yates was back with the team Friday. Yates had left the team Tuesday to attend to a personal matter in Pittsburgh.
• Catcher Ronny Paulino, who's been out since June with an ankle injury, re-joined Triple-A Indianapolis yesterday. Paulino had been rehabbing in the Gulf Coast League in Bradenton, Fla., providing a familiar target for Capps.
• Reliever Franquelis Osoria and outfielder Chris Duffy cleared waivers and were assigned to Indianapolis. Both were designated for assignment last week to clear space on the 40-man roster after the Jason Bay trade.
• The Pirates signed their 16th-round draft pick, outfielder Wesley Freeman of All Saints Academy high school in Florida.
• The Pirates announced plans to build a $250,000 multipurpose training field at the Pirate City complex in Bradenton, Fla. The grass field is expected to be ready by January.
-- .365 Ryan Doumit's batting average since the All-Star break.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Reversing the field: Pirates continue to raid Yankees for hidden skill
- Steelers’ Tomlin, Pirates’ Hurdle share similar philosophy
- Pirates notebook: Locke the choice to be 5th starter
- Spring training breakdown: Pirates 18, Phillies 4
- Pirates’ outfield may have few defensive peers
- Starting 9: As franchise values soar, do owners hold or sell?
- Alvarez latest in Pirates’ revolving door at first base
- Hair Cutch: Pirates superstar lops off his locks for charity
- Spring training breakdown: Pirates 4, Braves 2