Adam LaRoche to rehab at Hickory
Today, first baseman Adam LaRoche will begin a brief rehab assignment with Low-A Hickory.
"I'll play there a couple of days, get my swings in, and be re-evaluated," said LaRoche, who is on the disabled list with a right intercostal strain. "Hopefully, I'll be back quick."
LaRoche is eligible to come off the disabled list tomorrow.
The Pirates sent LaRoche to Hickory because this week's schedules for Triple-A Indianapolis and Double-A Altoona include off days and travel days.
"We're not so much concerned about who he faces," manager John Russell said. "He just needs to get live at-bats."
Right-hander Franklyn German, who was 1-1 with a 3.58 ERA in 24 relief appearances for Indianapolis, was traded to the Chicago White Sox for a player to be named.
Third baseman Andy LaRoche walked as a pinch-hitter in the seventh inning yesterday. It was his first plate appearance since bruising his thumb six days earlier.
Tom Gorzelanny might be ready to return to the majors. Yesterday, Gorzelanny racked up 10 strikeouts in 5 2⁄3 innings in Indianapolis' 6-4 win against Rochester. He also allowed three runs on five hits and a walk. The lefty is 2-1 with a 2.57 ERA in six starts for Indy.
Second-round draft pick Tanner Scheppers, who has not yet signed, will arrive in Pittsburgh today to be examined by team doctors and throw for Pirates scouts. The signing deadline is midnight Friday.
28 -- Draft picks, out of 50, who have signed with the Pirates this year.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- No certainty for Pirates’ call-up veterans
- Rossi: Continuing legend of Pirate Ray
- Pirates notebook: Hurdle’s faith in Polanco pays off
- Pirates notebook: Burnett encouraged by extended simulated game
- Biertempfel: Pittsburgh native faced quick learning curve as Marlins GM
- Patience serves as virtue amid prospect Glasnow’s quest for majors
- Strong-armed outfielder Garcia growing into all-around threat
- Starting 9: Pirates place renewed emphasis on nabbing base-stealers
- Happ’s strong start, Ramirez’s homer pace Pirates past Rockies
- Gameday: Pirates vs. Rockies, Aug. 30, 2015
- Pirates turn nifty double play in 9th, edge Marlins