Adam LaRoche to rehab at Hickory
Today, first baseman Adam LaRoche will begin a brief rehab assignment with Low-A Hickory.
"I'll play there a couple of days, get my swings in, and be re-evaluated," said LaRoche, who is on the disabled list with a right intercostal strain. "Hopefully, I'll be back quick."
LaRoche is eligible to come off the disabled list tomorrow.
The Pirates sent LaRoche to Hickory because this week's schedules for Triple-A Indianapolis and Double-A Altoona include off days and travel days.
"We're not so much concerned about who he faces," manager John Russell said. "He just needs to get live at-bats."
Right-hander Franklyn German, who was 1-1 with a 3.58 ERA in 24 relief appearances for Indianapolis, was traded to the Chicago White Sox for a player to be named.
Third baseman Andy LaRoche walked as a pinch-hitter in the seventh inning yesterday. It was his first plate appearance since bruising his thumb six days earlier.
Tom Gorzelanny might be ready to return to the majors. Yesterday, Gorzelanny racked up 10 strikeouts in 5 2⁄3 innings in Indianapolis' 6-4 win against Rochester. He also allowed three runs on five hits and a walk. The lefty is 2-1 with a 2.57 ERA in six starts for Indy.
Second-round draft pick Tanner Scheppers, who has not yet signed, will arrive in Pittsburgh today to be examined by team doctors and throw for Pirates scouts. The signing deadline is midnight Friday.
28 -- Draft picks, out of 50, who have signed with the Pirates this year.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Spring training breakdown: Pirates 4, Braves 2
- Alvarez latest in Pirates’ revolving door at first base
- Pirates pitchers finding success with expanded strike zone
- Pirates notebook: Polanco’s power outburst a matter of timing
- Starting 9: As franchise values soar, do owners hold or sell?
- Pirates notebook: Locke makes bid for final rotation spot, Tabata cut
- About face: Pirates’ Burnett now digging the shifts
- Spring training breakdown: Pirates 8, Blue Jays 3
- MLB commissioner: Pirates’ success starts in the front office
- Pirates notebook: Morton’s struggles continue during rough outing versus Astros
- Hair Cutch: Pirates superstar lops off his locks for charity