Adam LaRoche to rehab at Hickory
Today, first baseman Adam LaRoche will begin a brief rehab assignment with Low-A Hickory.
"I'll play there a couple of days, get my swings in, and be re-evaluated," said LaRoche, who is on the disabled list with a right intercostal strain. "Hopefully, I'll be back quick."
LaRoche is eligible to come off the disabled list tomorrow.
The Pirates sent LaRoche to Hickory because this week's schedules for Triple-A Indianapolis and Double-A Altoona include off days and travel days.
"We're not so much concerned about who he faces," manager John Russell said. "He just needs to get live at-bats."
Right-hander Franklyn German, who was 1-1 with a 3.58 ERA in 24 relief appearances for Indianapolis, was traded to the Chicago White Sox for a player to be named.
Third baseman Andy LaRoche walked as a pinch-hitter in the seventh inning yesterday. It was his first plate appearance since bruising his thumb six days earlier.
Tom Gorzelanny might be ready to return to the majors. Yesterday, Gorzelanny racked up 10 strikeouts in 5 2⁄3 innings in Indianapolis' 6-4 win against Rochester. He also allowed three runs on five hits and a walk. The lefty is 2-1 with a 2.57 ERA in six starts for Indy.
Second-round draft pick Tanner Scheppers, who has not yet signed, will arrive in Pittsburgh today to be examined by team doctors and throw for Pirates scouts. The signing deadline is midnight Friday.
28 -- Draft picks, out of 50, who have signed with the Pirates this year.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Rossi: Cole perfect pitcher to start pivotal series for Pirates
- Pirates notebook: Bucs unlikely to make trade before deadline
- Monday’s scouting report: Pirates at Cardinals
- RF Heisey, Reds avert sweep with a victory over Pirates at PNC Park
- Pirates’ Polanco runs into rookie wall
- Stats Corner: Corner men Marte, Snider deliver punch
- Pirates notebook: McCutchen returns to starting lineup; Alvarez out
- Pirates notebook: Team claims Indians’ Axford off waivers
- Statistically speaking: Pirates, Brewers possess strengths up the middle
- Saturday’s scouting report: Reds at Pirates
- Sunday’s scouting report: Pirates vs. Reds