Bucs' Bautista sent down
Pirates third baseman Jose Bautista was optioned to Triple-A Indianapolis following Wednesday night's game with the Reds. The move clears room for Adam LaRoche's return from the disabled list. Bautista is batting .242 with 12 home runs and 44 RBI. He was limited to only 11 at-bats in August - without any hits - as his playing time was reduced with the arrival of new third baseman Andy LaRoche.
"He's not getting to play a lot," manager John Russell said. "Rather than have him sit around, we will let him play a little bit. He needs to play."
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Snider happy to return to new role with Pirates
- Pirates notebook: Left-side lineup intrigue continues
- Gameday: Pirates at Brewers, Sept. 3, 2015
- Cole struggles as Brewers continue Miller mastery over Pirates
- Gameday: Pirates at Brewers, Sept. 2, 2015
- No bitter brew for Mercer over reduced playing time after injury
- Two wild-card format hurting Pirates in short term
- Gameday: Pirates at Brewers, Sept. 1, 2015
- Pirates notebook: Former 1st-round pick Tucker has shoulder surgery
- Pirates notebook: 6 September call-ups include first-timer Diaz
- Gameday: Pirates at Marlins, Aug. 27, 2015