Bucs' Bautista sent down
Pirates third baseman Jose Bautista was optioned to Triple-A Indianapolis following Wednesday night's game with the Reds. The move clears room for Adam LaRoche's return from the disabled list. Bautista is batting .242 with 12 home runs and 44 RBI. He was limited to only 11 at-bats in August - without any hits - as his playing time was reduced with the arrival of new third baseman Andy LaRoche.
"He's not getting to play a lot," manager John Russell said. "Rather than have him sit around, we will let him play a little bit. He needs to play."
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates notebook: McCutchen unfazed by return to Arizona
- Cole shuts down Diamondbacks as Pirates open road trip with victory
- Pirates look to continue success in cross-country trips
- Gameday: Pirates at Diamondbacks, April 25, 2015
- Polanco, bullpen come up clutch as Pirates capture win over Cubs
- Super-agent Boras says Pirates will have opportunity to re-sign Alvarez, Cole
- Cubs’ 3-run, 9th-inning rally upends Pirates
- Pirates notebook: Fan struck by foul ball released from hospital
- Pirates notebook: No demotion for closer Melancon
- Pirates notebook: GM sticking to plan with Kang
- Cubs’ rookie third baseman Bryant helps send Pirates to defeat