Bucs' Bautista sent down
Pirates third baseman Jose Bautista was optioned to Triple-A Indianapolis following Wednesday night's game with the Reds. The move clears room for Adam LaRoche's return from the disabled list. Bautista is batting .242 with 12 home runs and 44 RBI. He was limited to only 11 at-bats in August - without any hits - as his playing time was reduced with the arrival of new third baseman Andy LaRoche.
"He's not getting to play a lot," manager John Russell said. "Rather than have him sit around, we will let him play a little bit. He needs to play."
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates pitcher Locke fighting for 5th spot in starting rotation
- Rossi: Kang would benefit from less attention
- Pirates notebook: Morton lacks efficiency in spring training debut
- Pirates starting pitcher Worley is in right place, right time with team
- Pirates notebook: Sadler gets first Grapefruit start
- Spring training breakdown: Yankees 2, Pirates 1
- Pirates notebook: Tabata rediscovering his power
- Pirates notebook: Infield prospect Hanson used to playing elders
- Pirates special instructor Tekulve taking second chance to heart
- Blue Jays’ Martin has ‘nothing but praise’ for former Pirates teammates
- Pirates look to put more pressure on opposition with better baserunning