Bucs' Bautista sent down
Pirates third baseman Jose Bautista was optioned to Triple-A Indianapolis following Wednesday night's game with the Reds. The move clears room for Adam LaRoche's return from the disabled list. Bautista is batting .242 with 12 home runs and 44 RBI. He was limited to only 11 at-bats in August - without any hits - as his playing time was reduced with the arrival of new third baseman Andy LaRoche.
"He's not getting to play a lot," manager John Russell said. "Rather than have him sit around, we will let him play a little bit. He needs to play."
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.
We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.
While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.
We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers.
We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.
We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.
We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.
We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.
- Pirates notebook: Bucs to target pitching on trade market
- Saturday’s scouting report: Pirates at Reds
- All-star Watson blows late lead as Reds rally past Pirates
- Kovacevic: Who’s better than Cutch?
- Pirates notebook: Pirates recall Decker, send Cumpton back to Indy
- Report links Pirates first baseman Sanchez to PEDs while in college
- Statistically speaking: Mesoraco, Martin travel different paths to success
- Volquez goes distance as Pirates roll to victory over Cardinals
- Biertempfel: It’s elementary: Watson deserves to be on All-Star team
- Kovacevic: No measuring Harrison’s heart
- Friday’s scouting report: Pirates at Reds