Bucs' Bautista sent down
Pirates third baseman Jose Bautista was optioned to Triple-A Indianapolis following Wednesday night's game with the Reds. The move clears room for Adam LaRoche's return from the disabled list. Bautista is batting .242 with 12 home runs and 44 RBI. He was limited to only 11 at-bats in August - without any hits - as his playing time was reduced with the arrival of new third baseman Andy LaRoche.
"He's not getting to play a lot," manager John Russell said. "Rather than have him sit around, we will let him play a little bit. He needs to play."
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Harrison’s 5 RBIs help Pirates pound Brewers
- Pirates notebook: Prospect Sanchez makes 1st start at first base with Indy
- Time on the bench gets Snider back into Pirates lineup
- Saturday’s scouting report: Pirates at Brewers
- Pirates notebook: Hurdle weighs trio at 1st base
- Pirates’ Axford overcame long odds to reach majors
- Pirates notebook: Morton hopes to return this season
- Pirates notebook: Alvarez gets lessons at 1st base; Frieri cut
- Friday’s scouting report: Pirates at Brewers
- Wednesday’s scouting report: Braves at Pirates
- Statistically speaking: Pirates, Brewers possess strengths up the middle