Top prospects join Bucs
• The Pirates' top two prospects -- outfielder Andrew McCutchen and third baseman Neil Walker -- will be with the team today through Wednesday, but not as active players. "It's about letting them see the environment and experiencing it," general manager Neal Huntington said. "That way, when they come up (to play), we'll have taken away a little bit of the edge, some of the unknown."
• Nine players are eligible for arbitration this offseason. John Grabow ($1.135 million in 2008) and Adam LaRoche ($5 million in 2008) will be in their final year of eligibility. Nate McLouth, Ryan Doumit, Paul Maholm, Tom Gorzelanny, Zach Duke, Tyler Yates and Denny Bautista will be in line for significant raises as they enter their first year in the process.
• The Pirates could face some tough decisions when it comes to tendering offers to their arbitration-eligible players. "That comes down to the agents," Huntington said. "If you have some people who are realistic in what they ask, then no. If they fail to recognize performance levels and production, then yes. It always comes down to the negotiations."
• Left-hander Phil Dumatrait (shoulder) will rehab this offseason at his home in Bakersfield, Calif., and come to Pittsburgh two or three times for medical checkups. Dumatrait hopes to resume throwing in late October and will attend mini-camp in January.
• Righty Jimmy Barthmaier will start Saturday against the Houston Astros. The Pirates still plan on sending him to the Arizona Fall League to build up some innings and refine his changeup. The Pirates still have one vacancy on their AFL roster.
10 -- Victories by the Pirates in their past 11 extra-inning games.
6 -- Consecutive extra-inning wins by the Pirates at PNC Park.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.
We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.
While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.
We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers.
We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.
We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.
We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.
We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.
- Pirates pitcher Burnett could return in 4 weeks
- Pirates send Decker to Indy to clear roster space for Morse
- Pirates notebook: New acquisition Happ more than happy to fill spot in rotation
- Gameday: Pirates vs. Cubs, August 3, 2015
- Starting 9: Examining Pirates’ deadline decisions
- Biertempfel: Players, MLB agree logic of season’s setup needs to be examined
- Pirates farmhand Suchy learns limits of his size, strength
- Reds solve Cole, stave off Pirates’ 9th-inning rally
- Gameday: Pirates at Reds, Aug. 2, 2015
- 4 ejections, benches-clearing scrum mark Pirates’ win over Reds
- Pirates place Burnett on 15-day disabled list