Pirates free agent watch
Top 10 free agents this off-season
1. CC Sabathia, SP - Should get richer deal than Johan Santana's $137 million.
2. Manny Ramirez, OF - Will attitude problems return once his pockets are full?
3. Mark Teixeira, 1B - Switch-hitting slugger + Scott Boras • Payday!
4. A.J. Burnett, SP - Playoff-stud status was swiped by Cole Hamels.
5. Francisco Rodriguez, RP - Set single-season saves record in '08.
6. Rafael Furcal, SS - Must show he's recovered from back injury.
7. Derek Lowe, SP - Nothing flashy, but he is reliable.
8. Adam Dunn, 1B - Whiff, homer, cash check. Whiff, homer, cash check.
9. Oliver Perez, SP - Enigmatic but has talent to dominate on any given day.
10.Brian Fuentes, RP - Brewers and Cards eying lefty closer.
On the radar
The Pirates might shop the free-agent market for a starting pitcher, bullpen help and a right-handed hitter. A few players who might be on the team's radar:
Paul Byrd, SP - At 38, will he have anything left in his tank next season?
Willie Bloomquist, UT - 31-year-old can play 2B, 3B, SS or CF.
Odalis Perez, SP - Won seven games for the woeful Nats last season.
Braden Looper, SP - Back-to-back 12-win years after converting to starter.
Jason Jennings, SP - Pitched in just six games due to torn elbow tendon.
Randy Wolf, SP - Helped spark Astros' late surge last summer.
Mark Hendrickson, RP - Better as reliever (3.03 ERA) than starter (6.24).
Kevin Mench, OF - Was cut by Blue Jays at season's end.
Gabe Kapler, OF - Hit .354 with four homers in 82 at-bats against lefties.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.
We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.
While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.
We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers.
We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.
We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.
We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.
We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.
- Wainwright, Cardinals rough up Locke in 6-4 victory over Pirates
- Lambo no longer in limbo with Pirates
- Pirates notebook: Polanco says demotion to Indianapolis helped
- Wednesday’s scouting report: Pirates at Cardinals
- Pirates notebook: Sanchez returns to Bucs in offensive slump
- Pirates notebook: Lambo recalled to bolster bench
- Tuesday’s scouting report: Pirates at Cardinals
- Cardinals grab victory over pitcher Cole, Pirates with a late rally
- Pirates minor league report: Bell concluding breakout season
- RF Heisey, Reds avert sweep with a victory over Pirates at PNC Park
- Pirates notebook: Bucs unlikely to make trade before deadline