Pirates wrap up contracts with pre-arbitration players
The Pirates have finalized contracts for 2009 with all 26 of their pre-arbitration players.
Left-hander Tom Gorzelanny, coming off a turbulent '08 season, will make $433,000 — a raise of $14,000.
Outfielder Brandon Moss will earn $414,000. Last season, he made $390,000.
Ross Ohlendorf, who's in the mix for a rotation spot, signed for $413,500.
Jeff Karstens and Phil Dumatrait will each get $401,500 — only slightly more than the major league minimum of $400,000. That's a bit surprising, considering both pitchers figure to be part of the plan this season. Karstens came within four outs of a perfect game against Arizona. However, Dumatrait has been injury-prone and Karstens only joined the Pirates midway through the season.
Other players' contract terms that have leaked out so far are: Nyjer Morgan ($411,500), Steve Pearce ($407,000) and Brian Bixler ($405,000).
Contract terms for the other players were not immediately available. The Pirates do not make contract terms public.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates trade Snider to Orioles for minor league pitcher
- Starkey: What are Penguins, Pirates up to?
- Pirates shift times on 5 games, including rescheduling 2 fireworks nights
- For Pirates, NL Central test just got tougher
- Korean star Kang could be financial windfall for Pirates
- Pirates SS prospect Tucker making progress after thumb surgery