Pirates remove four players from camp
BRADENTON, Fla. — This morning, four players, including reliever Romulo Sanchez, were removed from big league camp.
Sanchez, a right-hander who is on the 40-man roster, was optioned to Triple-A Indianapolis. The three non-roster players — catcher Miguel Perez, righty Daniel Haigwood and infielder Pedro Lopez — were reassigned to minor league camp.
Sanchez pitched in two games and allowed one run on three runs, with no walks or strikeouts. Haigwood pitched in one game and got a save. He walked one and struck out one.
That leaves 53 players in camp with the Pirates.
More significant cuts, both in terms of numbers and player stature, should begin next week.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates’ Melancon has been consistent since moving into closer’s role
- Friday’s scouting report: Pirates at Rockies
- Statistically speaking: Rockies’ bullpen suffering meltdowns
- Pirates notebook: Recovering Cole exceeds expectations in simulated game
- Selig: Pirates’ rebirth a positive step for baseball
- Pirates notebook: Phillies’ Burnett not demanding trade
- Liriano, Snider lift Pirates to a victory over Dodgers at PNC Park
- Pirates notebook: Huntington staying patient as trade deadline approaches
- Wednesday’s scouting report: Pirates at Cardinals
- Saturday’s scouting report: Rockies at Pirates
- Sunday’s scouting report: Rockies at Pirates