Pirates remove four players from camp
BRADENTON, Fla. — This morning, four players, including reliever Romulo Sanchez, were removed from big league camp.
Sanchez, a right-hander who is on the 40-man roster, was optioned to Triple-A Indianapolis. The three non-roster players — catcher Miguel Perez, righty Daniel Haigwood and infielder Pedro Lopez — were reassigned to minor league camp.
Sanchez pitched in two games and allowed one run on three runs, with no walks or strikeouts. Haigwood pitched in one game and got a save. He walked one and struck out one.
That leaves 53 players in camp with the Pirates.
More significant cuts, both in terms of numbers and player stature, should begin next week.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Former pitcher Allie happily adjusting to outfield
- Pirates chase Mets’ Harvey early in rout
- Book details secret to Pirates’ turnaround
- Biertempfel: Despite Marte’s inconsistency, Pirates’ Hurdle keeping faith
- Going the distance no longer part of the game
- THE BLAME GAME
- Pirates’ McCutchen laughs off pay stub leak
- Gameday: Pirates vs. Mets, May 24, 2015
- Cole outduels Mets rookie, carries Pirates to victory
- Pace-of-play rules are catching on with Pirates this season
- Analysis: Similar offensive woes, but Pirates face new challenges for turnaround