Pirates remove four players from camp
BRADENTON, Fla. — This morning, four players, including reliever Romulo Sanchez, were removed from big league camp.
Sanchez, a right-hander who is on the 40-man roster, was optioned to Triple-A Indianapolis. The three non-roster players — catcher Miguel Perez, righty Daniel Haigwood and infielder Pedro Lopez — were reassigned to minor league camp.
Sanchez pitched in two games and allowed one run on three runs, with no walks or strikeouts. Haigwood pitched in one game and got a save. He walked one and struck out one.
That leaves 53 players in camp with the Pirates.
More significant cuts, both in terms of numbers and player stature, should begin next week.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Cole shuts down Diamondbacks as Pirates open road trip with victory
- Pirates look to continue success in cross-country trips
- Pirates notebook: McCutchen unfazed by return to Arizona
- Gameday: Pirates at Diamondbacks, April 25, 2015
- Super-agent Boras says Pirates will have opportunity to re-sign Alvarez, Cole
- Polanco, bullpen come up clutch as Pirates capture win over Cubs
- Burnett’s evolution from thrower to pitcher helps him stay on top of his game
- Bonds’ obstruction conviction overturned
- Pirates notebook: GM sticking to plan with Kang
- Cubs’ rookie third baseman Bryant helps send Pirates to defeat
- Pitchers Worley, Watson work out of jams to help Pirates knock off Cubs