Pirates remove four players from camp
BRADENTON, Fla. — This morning, four players, including reliever Romulo Sanchez, were removed from big league camp.
Sanchez, a right-hander who is on the 40-man roster, was optioned to Triple-A Indianapolis. The three non-roster players — catcher Miguel Perez, righty Daniel Haigwood and infielder Pedro Lopez — were reassigned to minor league camp.
Sanchez pitched in two games and allowed one run on three runs, with no walks or strikeouts. Haigwood pitched in one game and got a save. He walked one and struck out one.
That leaves 53 players in camp with the Pirates.
More significant cuts, both in terms of numbers and player stature, should begin next week.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Rossi: Kang would benefit from less attention
- Pirates pitcher Locke fighting for 5th spot in starting rotation
- Pirates notebook: Morton lacks efficiency in spring training debut
- Pirates look to put more pressure on opposition with better baserunning
- Blue Jays’ Martin has ‘nothing but praise’ for former Pirates teammates
- Pirates notebook: Harrison’s day cut short by ankle injury
- Pirates willing to consider high salary to keep star McCutchen
- Pirates notebook: Infield prospect Hanson used to playing elders
- Rossi: Fitting in will be Kang’s biggest hurdle
- Pirates notebook: Hart ‘down a few days’ after cutting foot
- Spring training breakdown: Yankees 2, Pirates 1