Pirates remove four players from camp
BRADENTON, Fla. — This morning, four players, including reliever Romulo Sanchez, were removed from big league camp.
Sanchez, a right-hander who is on the 40-man roster, was optioned to Triple-A Indianapolis. The three non-roster players — catcher Miguel Perez, righty Daniel Haigwood and infielder Pedro Lopez — were reassigned to minor league camp.
Sanchez pitched in two games and allowed one run on three runs, with no walks or strikeouts. Haigwood pitched in one game and got a save. He walked one and struck out one.
That leaves 53 players in camp with the Pirates.
More significant cuts, both in terms of numbers and player stature, should begin next week.
Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates win bidding for Korean infielder
- Pirates sign Corey Hart to 1-year deal
- Pirates notebook: New catcher Cervelli eager to bond with staff
- Ex-Pirate Parker fights against Parkinson’s with optimistic attitude
- MLB notebook: Pirates’ Liriano gets $2 million bonus as part of 3-year, $39 million deal
- Pirates notebook: Team ‘more relevant’ as Winter Meetings end
- Rossi: Liriano deal good start for Pirates
- Pirates notebook: Pirates open to signing Walker to extension
- Pirates finalize Liriano’s 3-year, $39 million deal
- Pirates’ struggling catcher Sanchez sent home from Dominican Winter League