Pirates remove four players from camp
BRADENTON, Fla. — This morning, four players, including reliever Romulo Sanchez, were removed from big league camp.
Sanchez, a right-hander who is on the 40-man roster, was optioned to Triple-A Indianapolis. The three non-roster players — catcher Miguel Perez, righty Daniel Haigwood and infielder Pedro Lopez — were reassigned to minor league camp.
Sanchez pitched in two games and allowed one run on three runs, with no walks or strikeouts. Haigwood pitched in one game and got a save. He walked one and struck out one.
That leaves 53 players in camp with the Pirates.
More significant cuts, both in terms of numbers and player stature, should begin next week.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates offseason breakdown: Happ among tough decisions
- With fates of key players uncertain, Pirates face important offseason
- How the Pirates put together another postseason contender
- Fans connect with their beloved Pirates through homemade signs
- Pirates notebook: Tempers boil after Arrieta beaned
- Starkey: Pirates gaining bad big-game rep
- Pirates say goodbye to veteran leaders Burnett, Ramirez
- Rossi: Time for Pirates to take next step
- Cubs’ Arrieta, Pirates’ Cole leave batters with little margin for error
- NL wild-card game notebook: Pirates understand hype surrounding Cubs
- NL wild-game game players to watch