Pirates demote Meek, complete opening day roster
BRADENTON, Fla. — The Pirates this morning finalized their opening day roster by choosing reliever Jesse Chavez over Evan Meek.
Meek was optioned to Triple-A Indianapolis.
This spring, Meek, 25, put up better stats than Chavez. However, Meek has not pitched in two weeks since being sidelined by a sore shoulder, flu-like symptoms and bronchitis.
"Ultimately, logic won out over emotion," general manager Neal Huntington said. "Even threw the ball very well — good velocity, good stuff, good command — and he'd gotten good results. That was tough to walk away from.
"But he hasn't gone back-to-back (outings) yet and hadn't gone multiple innings yet. He hasn't really faced (a tough) lineup yet. Jesse has."
Chavez, 25, had a 11.45 ERA in 13 appearances this spring. In 11 innings, he allowed 18 hits and seven walks and struck out 15.
"The key for me now is, don't rush," Chavez said. "Stay nice and calm and relaxed."
Chavez pitched in 15 games for the Pirates last season, and went 0-1 with a 6.60 ERA.
Meek, a Rule 5 pick last year, pitched in seven games this spring and had a 3.48 ERA. He was clearly stunned by the decision.
"This is brutal on my end," Meek said. "Ever since they sent me down last year, I've been doing what I did this spring — at Double-A, Triple-A, Mexican (Winter) League. In my opinion, I was one of the best guys here at the start of spring, but that doesn't matter."
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Happ’s strong start, Ramirez’s homer pace Pirates past Rockies
- Patience serves as virtue amid prospect Glasnow’s quest for majors
- Pirates notebook: Hurdle’s faith in Polanco pays off
- Pirates, Cubs to make up postponed game Sept. 15
- Starting 9: Pirates place renewed emphasis on nabbing base-stealers
- Strong-armed outfielder Garcia growing into all-around threat
- Biertempfel: Pittsburgh native faced quick learning curve as Marlins GM
- Gameday: Pirates vs. Rockies, Aug. 30, 2015
- Pirates show depth in earning victory over Rockies; Polanco has big night
- Pirates notebook: Catcher Cervelli among ejection leaders
- Gameday: Pirates vs. Rockies, Aug. 29, 2015