Capps may be able to pitch today
• Closer Matt Capps (elbow bruise) played catch Friday and is scheduled to throw off a mound this morning. If all goes well, he might be able to pitch in the game this afternoon, but there's no rush to get him back on the field. "With a day game, we might be a little more cautious," manager John Russell said. "If he's not 100 percent comfortable, we've got the off day Monday to get him ready to go Tuesday."
• Right-hander Jimmy Barthmaier will have reconstructive elbow surgery Tuesday and will miss the rest of the season for Triple-A Indianapolis. Dr. James Andrews will perform the operation. Barthmaier has been out since April 11.
• Shortstop Jack Wilson (sprained finger) began his three-game rehab assignment last night with Indianapolis. Wilson will be activated Tuesday from the disabled list.
• A battery of tests on right-hander Craig Hansen (neck spasms) came back negative, meaning there's no structural damage. There remains no timetable for when he will come off the DL. "It's going kind of slow," Russell said.
• Until last night, when they faced the Mets' Jonathan Niese, the Pirates had gone 15 games without seeing a left-handed starting pitcher.
• Catcher Adam Melhuse was signed as a free agent and assigned to Indianapolis. Melhuse, 37, played a combined 15 games in the majors last season for Colorado and Texas. Over eight seasons, he hit .234 with 24 homers and 98 RBI.
.321 -- Combined batting average of catchers Jason Jaramillo and Robinzon Diaz since Ryan Doumit went on the DL.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates notebook: Barmes back, gets start at SS
- Wednesday’s scouting report: Cardinals at Pirates
- Pirates send Polanco to Triple-A Indianapolis; Tabata, Barmes return
- Pirates top Cardinals, 5-2, on Davis’ homer; Alvarez, McCutchen hurt
- Pirates notebook: McCutchen returns to starting lineup; Alvarez out
- Pirates notebook: Breakout of catching prospect Diaz a pleasant surprise
- Biertempfel: Bucs must balance playing hurt or sitting out
- Minor league notes: Baseball vagabonds improve stock with strong seasons
- Alvarez delivers 2 homers as Pirates pummel Brewers, 10-2
- Stats Corner: Can Pirates’ Polanco handle the heat in season’s final weeks?
- Pirates notebook: Morton hopes to return this season