Yates returned to Pittsburgh for further tests
• Reliever Tyler Yates returned to Pittsburgh today for further tests on his bothersome right elbow that flared up during Tuesday's simulated game. "I was super sore," Yates said on Tuesday night. Manager John Russell said it may be as long as a week before they have a diagnosis. "We thought he was making very good progress. You can't mess around with a pitcher's arm. We've got to make sure we find out what's going on."
• The day the Pirates' farm system returned one prospect from injury, they lost another. Double-A Altoona outfielder Jose Tabata came back from a six-week absence with a hamstring injury, but Triple-A Indianapolis third baseman Neil Walker will miss 3 to 5 weeks with a knee injury. Pirates director of player development Kyle Stark said Walker, who also has a dislocated pinky finger, has no structural damage. Tabata left Altoona's game with cramping and is day-to-day.
• First-base coach Perry Hill still doesn't know why he was ejected from Tuesday night's game after arguing a blown call on Delwyn Young's grounder in the eighth inning. Hill said it was the first time he was ejected from a game in 25 years in pro baseball, including 16 in the majors. "I didn't cuss and I didn't say the word 'You,'" Hill said. "I didn't say anything disrespectful. It's ridiculous. It's uncalled for. I hope they do fine me because I will appeal it. They expect you to be an unemotional cigar store Indian. I can't help that I got involved in the game. If I do it in a respectful manner, once every 16 years I should be able to voice my opinion."
.361 -- Third baseman Andy LaRoche's batting average since May 15.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.
We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.
While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.
We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers.
We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.
We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.
We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.
We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.
- Pirates trade for Dodgers 1B/OF Morse, Mariners LHP Happ
- Marte’s 2 fine defensive plays rescue Pirates in victory over Reds
- Pirates place Burnett on 15-day disabled list
- Hurdle: Soria likely to assume setup role with Watson
- Gameday: Pirates at Cincinnati, Aug. 1, 2015
- Pirates notebook: Blanton introduced; Worley designated for assignment
- Pirates’ Burnett endures another poor start in blowout loss to Reds
- Pirates bolster bullpen by trading for former closer Soria
- Gameday: Pirates at Reds, July 31, 2015
- Pirates acquire pitcher Blanton from Royals for cash
- Gameday: Pirates vs. Nationals, July 26, 2015