Bucs' catcher Doumit works way back
Pirates catcher Ryan Doumit (broken wrist) has begun a two-week throwing/hitting program. He threw soft toss from 45 feet on Sunday and also took some dry swings.
"It's a progression," Doumit said. "I'm going to ease into it."
Doumit eventually will throw from 60 feet and 150 feet. After dry swings, he'll move up to hitting off a tee, hitting flip tosses and finally live batting practice. Once he reaches both goals, it will be time to set up a minor-league rehab assignment.
"The great thing is he's working to get back now instead of waiting to work to get back," manager John Russell said.
• Relievers Sean Burnett and Jesse Chavez are fuming over how they've been portrayed by ESPN and other media for supposedly setting up a candle and "shrine" to Nate McLouth.
"It's ridiculous. Blown way out of proportion," Burnett said. "I'm waiting for an apology."
Chavez said the candle was set up two weeks before McLouth was traded as a running joke about the players' daily card game of Pluck. As long as Chavez and Burnett kept winning, the candle stayed lit at their lockers.
"It had nothing to do with the trade," Chavez said. "It's a friendly thing we had going on, an inside joke."
Neither player was disciplined by the team and the candle and Pluck scoreboard remain at their lockers.
• Right-hander Charlie Morton's next start was pushed back to Saturday to give his sore hamstring more time to heal.
• Morton's status was one of the items on the agenda during a long meeting yesterday morning in Russell's office. Pitching coach Joe Kerrigan and general manager Neal Huntington were among those present.
.391 — Delwyn Young's batting average in his 11 starts in right field
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates notebook: Sanchez returns to Bucs in offensive slump
- Tuesday’s scouting report: Pirates at Cardinals
- Pirates’ Polanco runs into rookie wall
- Cardinals grab victory over pitcher Cole, Pirates with a late rally
- Rossi: Cole perfect pitcher to start pivotal series for Pirates
- Pirates minor league report: Bell concluding breakout season
- Pirates notebook: Lambo recalled to bolster bench
- RF Heisey, Reds avert sweep with a victory over Pirates at PNC Park
- Pirates notebook: Bucs unlikely to make trade before deadline