Outfielder Moss sits again for Pirates
Slumping right fielder Brandon Moss was benched for the third game in a row Tuesday. Moss will be out of the lineup again today, as the Minnesota Twins are starting a left-handed pitcher.
Going into yesterday's game, Moss (.243, one homer, 14 RBI) was hitless in his past 15 at-bats. He's batting .200 with one RBI against lefties.
• Short-season Class A State College began its three-day mini-camp yesterday. Among the 28 players in camp are five 2009 draft picks: right-handers Marc Baca and Jason Erickson, infielder Ty Summerlin, and outfielders Jose Hernandez and Pat Irvine. Righty Quinton Miller, the 20th-round pick last year who got a hefty $900,000 signing bonus, also is in camp.
• Catcher Adam Melhuse retired from Triple-A Indianapolis, five weeks after signing as a minor-league free agent. Catcher Miguel Perez was promoted to Indy from Double-A Altoona.
• Craig Monroe played 58 games with the Twins last season before being cut in early August. He was not too nostalgic yesterday about being back in the Metrodome.
"I was only here for a few months," Monroe said. "I loved the team, I loved the guys, I don't have any problems with the organization. They were great to me."
• The first of four blood drives this year at PNC Park will be from noon to 7 p.m. Wednesday in the press conference room. Anyone who donates blood will get a free Pirates promotional item and two tickets to the June 28 game against the Kansas City Royals. Kent Tekulve will be on hand from noon to 2 p.m. to sign autographs.
786 — Consecutive games the Pirates played on grass until last night's game against the Twins
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.
We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.
While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.
We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers.
We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.
We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.
We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.
We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.
- Pirates will play NL wild-card game at PNC Park after shutting out Reds
- Rossi: Time to give Pirates owner Nutting his due
- Pirates notebook: Huntington weighs whether wild-card round should be expanded
- Are Pirates better positioned to win it all this postseason?
- Starting 9: How can the Pirates catch the Cardinals in the future?
- Burnett pitches well in farewell, but Pirates lose to Reds
- Pirates fans on edge as season again coming down to wild card
- Pirates notebook: It’s official: Cole to start wild-card game against Cubs
- Gameday: Pirates vs. Reds, Oct. 4, 2015
- Pirates notebook: Morton traces struggles to mechanics of delivery
- Gameday: Pirates vs. Reds October 3, 2015