Outfielder Moss sits again for Pirates
Slumping right fielder Brandon Moss was benched for the third game in a row Tuesday. Moss will be out of the lineup again today, as the Minnesota Twins are starting a left-handed pitcher.
Going into yesterday's game, Moss (.243, one homer, 14 RBI) was hitless in his past 15 at-bats. He's batting .200 with one RBI against lefties.
• Short-season Class A State College began its three-day mini-camp yesterday. Among the 28 players in camp are five 2009 draft picks: right-handers Marc Baca and Jason Erickson, infielder Ty Summerlin, and outfielders Jose Hernandez and Pat Irvine. Righty Quinton Miller, the 20th-round pick last year who got a hefty $900,000 signing bonus, also is in camp.
• Catcher Adam Melhuse retired from Triple-A Indianapolis, five weeks after signing as a minor-league free agent. Catcher Miguel Perez was promoted to Indy from Double-A Altoona.
• Craig Monroe played 58 games with the Twins last season before being cut in early August. He was not too nostalgic yesterday about being back in the Metrodome.
"I was only here for a few months," Monroe said. "I loved the team, I loved the guys, I don't have any problems with the organization. They were great to me."
• The first of four blood drives this year at PNC Park will be from noon to 7 p.m. Wednesday in the press conference room. Anyone who donates blood will get a free Pirates promotional item and two tickets to the June 28 game against the Kansas City Royals. Kent Tekulve will be on hand from noon to 2 p.m. to sign autographs.
786 — Consecutive games the Pirates played on grass until last night's game against the Twins
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates star McCutchen marries in private ceremony
- Pirates enter Plan B with Martin off market
- Pirates trade Davis to A’s for international signing bonus money
- Pirates notebook: Team offered catcher Martin 4-year contract
- Pirates cut ties with Davis, clearing path for Alvarez to play first base
- Pirates ready to protect top pitching prospects from Rule 5 draft