Morton listed as starter on Friday
• Charlie Morton (hamstring) is listed as the Pirates' starter Friday against Kansas City, but that could change. "We're taking it step by step," manager John Russell said. If Morton can't go, right-hander Virgil Vasquez will be called up from Triple-A Indianapolis. Vasquez started Tuesday for Indy, but was removed from the game after one inning.
• The Pirates are mulling a trade for reliever Luis Ayala, who was designated for assignment by the Minnesota Twins. Ayala, 31, went 1-2 with a 4.18 ERA in 28 games for the Twins. His salary is $1.3 million. The Pirates are seeking a veteran presence in the bullpen, as Tyler Yates (elbow) is not expected back anytime soon.
• Infielder Brian Myrow was acquired from the Chicago White Sox for either cash or a minor-league player to be named. He was assigned to Indianapolis. Myrow hit .277 with seven homers and 25 RBI in 48 games for Triple-A Charlotte.
• Bob Miscik, a Mt. Pleasant native, was chosen as a coach for the 2009 Futures Game during All-Star week. Miscik is manager of the Huntsville Stars, the Milwaukee Brewers' Double-A affilate. He played in the Pirates' minor league system from 1980-86.
• Infielder Calvin Anderson, the Pirates' 12th-round draft pick last year, drove in the winning run Tuesday in the low Class A South Atlantic League all-star game. Anderson also went deep 13 times to win the league's home-run derby.
• Double-A Altoona had to postpone the Nate McLouth bobblehead giveaway scheduled for Friday because items will not arrive in time. Fans who attend the game will receive a voucher to get the dolls when they arrive. The Curve will hand out Pedro Alvarez posters to the first 2,000 fans Friday.
1 -- Open spots on the Pirates' 40-man roster
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Aliquippa wins 16th WPIAL title, ends South Fayette’s 44-game winning streak
- Steelers find success vs. NFC
- Man, 19, wounded in Brighton Heights shooting
- Gorman: Central’s Wheeler ‘made the play we needed’
- Four downs: Steelers might still be Adams’ best bet
- Penn State notebook: Franklin maps out plan to join Big Ten elite
- Drones hover at top of holiday wish lists
- As historic breakup nears, Alcoa works to redefine its ‘advantage’
- Central Catholic wins 5th WPIAL football title
- Batteries key to alternative energy’s success
- WPIAL Class AAAA notes: P-T unable to snap playoff skid vs. Central Catholic