Morton listed as starter on Friday
• Charlie Morton (hamstring) is listed as the Pirates' starter Friday against Kansas City, but that could change. "We're taking it step by step," manager John Russell said. If Morton can't go, right-hander Virgil Vasquez will be called up from Triple-A Indianapolis. Vasquez started Tuesday for Indy, but was removed from the game after one inning.
• The Pirates are mulling a trade for reliever Luis Ayala, who was designated for assignment by the Minnesota Twins. Ayala, 31, went 1-2 with a 4.18 ERA in 28 games for the Twins. His salary is $1.3 million. The Pirates are seeking a veteran presence in the bullpen, as Tyler Yates (elbow) is not expected back anytime soon.
• Infielder Brian Myrow was acquired from the Chicago White Sox for either cash or a minor-league player to be named. He was assigned to Indianapolis. Myrow hit .277 with seven homers and 25 RBI in 48 games for Triple-A Charlotte.
• Bob Miscik, a Mt. Pleasant native, was chosen as a coach for the 2009 Futures Game during All-Star week. Miscik is manager of the Huntsville Stars, the Milwaukee Brewers' Double-A affilate. He played in the Pirates' minor league system from 1980-86.
• Infielder Calvin Anderson, the Pirates' 12th-round draft pick last year, drove in the winning run Tuesday in the low Class A South Atlantic League all-star game. Anderson also went deep 13 times to win the league's home-run derby.
• Double-A Altoona had to postpone the Nate McLouth bobblehead giveaway scheduled for Friday because items will not arrive in time. Fans who attend the game will receive a voucher to get the dolls when they arrive. The Curve will hand out Pedro Alvarez posters to the first 2,000 fans Friday.
1 -- Open spots on the Pirates' 40-man roster
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.
We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.
While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.
We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers.
We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.
We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.
We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.
We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.
- Burnett pitches well in farewell, but Pirates lose to Reds
- Pirates fans on edge as season again coming down to wild card
- Are Pirates better positioned to win it all this postseason?
- Starting 9: How can the Pirates catch the Cardinals in the future?
- Gameday: Pirates vs. Reds, Oct. 4, 2015
- Pirates notebook: It’s official: Cole to start wild-card game against Cubs
- Pirates notebook: Morton traces struggles to mechanics of delivery
- Marte’s 2-run homer in 12th polishes off Reds
- Gameday: Pirates vs. Reds October 3, 2015
- Pirates standout CF McCutchen no longer needs to carry team
- Photo gallery: Last Pirates game at Three Rivers Stadium, Oct. 1, 2000