Local trainer earns state honor
The Pirates appear to be in good hands.
Allegheny General Hospital sports medicine specialist Dr. Edward Snell recently received the 2009 Team Physician Award from the Pennsylvania Athletic Trainers' Society, an award that recognizes 15 or more years of team physician achievement and athletic training support in Pennsylvania.
Snell, the director of the Primary Sports Medicine Fellowship at AGH, has been the Pirates' head team physician for 10 years under medical director Dr. Patrick DeMeo.
"It's really an honor," said Snell, 47, who lives in McCandless with his wife and two daughters. "I'm glad they're recognizing physicians who are stepping up to the plate, backing them and backing the issues in taking care of young athletes and professional athletes.
"It's good to be recognized for all the stuff we do. It's good to get an award like this."
The award is the second in five months for Snell, who DeMeo recruited from Cleveland 15 years ago. In March, Snell was elected President of the Major League Baseball Team Physician's Association.
He helps head a Pirates training staff -- three with the major-league club and 12 in the minor leagues -- that Baseball Prospectus labeled in November as the best in professional baseball.
In addition to his work with the Pirates and Major League Baseball, Snell also serves as medical director for the Athletic Training Education Program at Duquesne. He's a team physician for several area high schools and is a member of the Pennsylvania Interscholastic Athletic Association's Sports Medicine Advisory Committee.
"It's a challenging career," Snell said. "It's been extremely self-satisfyinig to do what I do."
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates chase Mets’ Harvey early in rout
- Going the distance no longer part of the game
- Biertempfel: Despite Marte’s inconsistency, Pirates’ Hurdle keeping faith
- Former pitcher Allie happily adjusting to outfield
- Book details secret to Pirates’ turnaround
- Gameday: Pirates vs. Mets, May 24, 2015
- THE BLAME GAME
- Pirates notebook: Stewart, Cole develop rapport
- Cole outduels Mets rookie, carries Pirates to victory
- Pirates’ bats break out, snap 5-game skid
- Gameday: Pirates vs. Twins, May 20, 2015