Pirates recall Pearce to fill first base slot after LaRoche trade
The Pirates' Steve Pearce could start receiving some regular playing time. The Pirates traded first baseman Adam LaRoche to the Boston Red Sox on Wednesday and recalled Pearce, a first baseman who also can play right field.
Pearce initially was recalled in late June, producing a double in 14 plate appearances across nine games before being sent back down.
Though Garrett Jones started at first base yesterday, Pirates manager John Russell said Pearce, who joins the team in Arizona today, would get a better opportunity to prove his worth.
"Steve Pearce has been doing very well in Triple-A," Russell said. "We'd like to give him a look. ... When we called him up the first time, he didn't have an opportunity to play much. I think it's time we get Steve some at-bats and see how he goes with it ..."
• Ramon Vazquez got a second consecutive start at shortstop yesterday, filling in for Jack Wilson, who sat out another game with a tight hamstring. Russell said Wilson hopefully would be able to return to the lineup today — or at least sometime while in Arizona. "He's better today," Russell said. "Still a little tight, but he should be fine in the next few days — hopefully, tomorrow. He said he felt a lot better today."
• The Pirates won four of six games during this homestand. Today marks the start of seven consecutive games away from PNC Park — against Arizona and San Francisco. The Pirates have gone 2-11 in their past 13 road games.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates notebook: Worley bounces back after rough start
- Hair Cutch: Pirates superstar lops off his locks for charity
- Spring training breakdown: Braves 7, Pirates 5
- Forbes: Pirates worth $900 million
- Reliever Caminero’s chances of making Pirates’ roster heating up
- Pirates notebook: McCutchen says he’s ‘glad’ to be on field
- Fresh Polanco hopes to speed up hands, get better results this season
- Pirates’ Harrison working to use 2014 success as building block
- Spring training breakdown: Orioles 9, Pirates 2
- Pirates notebook: RV is home to pitcher Lincoln for spring training
- McCutchen says injury won’t prevent him from playing Opening Day