Pirates won't be calling up 3B Alvarez in 2009
CHICAGO — From the majors to the minors, the Pirates' top power hitter this season is third baseman Pedro Alvarez.
Splitting his time between Single-A Lynchburg and Double-A Altoona, Alvarez has hit 23 home runs, one more than Pirates' team leader Garrett Jones. Alvarez went into Sunday's action leading the Eastern League in batting average (.440) and hits (22) in August.
Yet, even though the Pirates are starved for power and run production, Alvarez will not make his major-league debut until at least 2010.
Although the Pirates would like to fast-track Alvarez to the majors, he will finish this season at Double-A. General manager Neal Huntington said he prefers not to jump prospects more than one level in a season.
"We're a long ways from having another option (to Andy LaRoche) at third base," Huntington said Sunday on his weekly radio show. "We really like what Pedro has done with the bat, but he still has some strides to make with his glove. It's not just about his offensive performance."
Huntington said Alvarez must continue to slim down this offseason in order to remain at third base. The Pirates have not yet decided whether Alvarez will go to Instructional League and/or the Arizona Fall League, or if he will spend the winter just working out.
"We're leaning toward giving him the time in the weight room and (teaching him to make) better food choices rather than continuing the day-to-day grind (of games)," Huntington said.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Happ’s strong start, Ramirez’s homer pace Pirates past Rockies
- Starting 9: Pirates place renewed emphasis on nabbing base-stealers
- Biertempfel: Pittsburgh native faced quick learning curve as Marlins GM
- Pirates notebook: Hurdle’s faith in Polanco pays off
- Patience serves as virtue amid pitching prospect Glasnow’s quest for majors
- Strong-armed outfielder Garcia growing into all-around threat
- Gameday: Pirates vs. Rockies, Aug. 30, 2015
- Pirates show depth in earning victory over Rockies; Polanco has big night
- Pirates notebook: Catcher Cervelli among ejection leaders
- Gameday: Pirates vs. Rockies, Aug. 29, 2015
- Pirates notebook: Hurdle mulling rotation options