Pirates won't be calling up 3B Alvarez in 2009
CHICAGO — From the majors to the minors, the Pirates' top power hitter this season is third baseman Pedro Alvarez.
Splitting his time between Single-A Lynchburg and Double-A Altoona, Alvarez has hit 23 home runs, one more than Pirates' team leader Garrett Jones. Alvarez went into Sunday's action leading the Eastern League in batting average (.440) and hits (22) in August.
Yet, even though the Pirates are starved for power and run production, Alvarez will not make his major-league debut until at least 2010.
Although the Pirates would like to fast-track Alvarez to the majors, he will finish this season at Double-A. General manager Neal Huntington said he prefers not to jump prospects more than one level in a season.
"We're a long ways from having another option (to Andy LaRoche) at third base," Huntington said Sunday on his weekly radio show. "We really like what Pedro has done with the bat, but he still has some strides to make with his glove. It's not just about his offensive performance."
Huntington said Alvarez must continue to slim down this offseason in order to remain at third base. The Pirates have not yet decided whether Alvarez will go to Instructional League and/or the Arizona Fall League, or if he will spend the winter just working out.
"We're leaning toward giving him the time in the weight room and (teaching him to make) better food choices rather than continuing the day-to-day grind (of games)," Huntington said.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates notebook: Castillo’s debut underscores challenges in Cuban market
- Thursday’s scouting report: Red Sox at Pirates
- Pirates hit 3 HRs in rout of Red Sox
- Pitt notebook: Expanded game plan likely awaits Iowa
- Pirates notebook: Hurdle quiet on rotation plans
- Pirates notebook: Holdzkom’s wild ride continues
- Pirates analyst Kent Tekulve recovering after heart transplant
- New approach on offense has Pirates in playoff contention this season
- Morton, Pirates blank Red Sox in series opener
- Wednesday’s scouting report: Red Sox at Pirates
- Biertempfel: In wild-card game, Cole must get call