Pirates designate Meloan for assignment
• Right-hander John Meloan was designated for assignment Monday to make room for Daniel McCutchen on the 40-man roster. Meloan was claimed off waivers from Tampa Bay's organization Aug. 12 and sent to Triple-A Indianapolis. Meloan is 0-0 with a 4.57 ERA in 41 games this season.
â€¢ West Virginia left-hander Rudy Owens was named most outstanding pitcher of the Single-A South Atlantic League. Owens also was named to the league's all-star team. He went 10-1 with a 1.70 ERA in 19 games before being promoted to high-A Lynchburg.
â€¢ Andrew McCutchen went 0 for 4 in the first game of yesterday's doubleheader, snapping his 12-game hitting streak. The Pirates' string of six games in which they hit at least one home run also was stopped in the afternoon game.
â€¢ Daniel McCutchen is the fifth Pirate to have made his major-league debut this season. The others are Jason Jaramillo, Steven Jackson, Andrew McCutchen and Donnie Veal.
â€¢ Manager John Russell said Daniel McCutchen will get regular turns the rest of the way this season. "He'll be in the rotation for the rest of the year," Russell said. "We've set it up so that he'll get starts and the rest of the guys will get the starts that they need." Right-handers Ross Ohlendorf and Kevin Hart will be cut off when they reach their innings limits.
â€¢ Before yesterday, the Pirates last played a day-night doubleheader on Aug. 20, 2004, at St. Louis. The Pirates will play another day-night twinbill Sept. 30 in Chicago.
24 -- Pitchers used by the Pirates this season.
26 -- Pirates record for pitchers used in a season, set last year.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates say goodbye to veteran leaders Burnett, Ramirez
- Pirates notebook: Fastball command issues hurt Cole against Cubs
- A field day on social media as Pirates’ Rodriguez attacks Gatorade cooler
- Cubs’ Fowler, Schwarber deliver to sink Pirates
- Starkey: Pirates gaining bad big-game rep
- Rossi: Cole is simply not good enough for Pirates
- Pirates no match for Cubs, Arrieta in wild-card loss
- Burnett pitches well in farewell, but Pirates lose to Reds
- Pirates notebook: Tempers boil after Arrieta beaned
- Pirates will play NL wild-card game at PNC Park after shutting out Reds
- How the Pirates put together another postseason contender