Pirates designate Meloan for assignment
• Right-hander John Meloan was designated for assignment Monday to make room for Daniel McCutchen on the 40-man roster. Meloan was claimed off waivers from Tampa Bay's organization Aug. 12 and sent to Triple-A Indianapolis. Meloan is 0-0 with a 4.57 ERA in 41 games this season.
â€¢ West Virginia left-hander Rudy Owens was named most outstanding pitcher of the Single-A South Atlantic League. Owens also was named to the league's all-star team. He went 10-1 with a 1.70 ERA in 19 games before being promoted to high-A Lynchburg.
â€¢ Andrew McCutchen went 0 for 4 in the first game of yesterday's doubleheader, snapping his 12-game hitting streak. The Pirates' string of six games in which they hit at least one home run also was stopped in the afternoon game.
â€¢ Daniel McCutchen is the fifth Pirate to have made his major-league debut this season. The others are Jason Jaramillo, Steven Jackson, Andrew McCutchen and Donnie Veal.
â€¢ Manager John Russell said Daniel McCutchen will get regular turns the rest of the way this season. "He'll be in the rotation for the rest of the year," Russell said. "We've set it up so that he'll get starts and the rest of the guys will get the starts that they need." Right-handers Ross Ohlendorf and Kevin Hart will be cut off when they reach their innings limits.
â€¢ Before yesterday, the Pirates last played a day-night doubleheader on Aug. 20, 2004, at St. Louis. The Pirates will play another day-night twinbill Sept. 30 in Chicago.
24 -- Pitchers used by the Pirates this season.
26 -- Pirates record for pitchers used in a season, set last year.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.
We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.
While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.
We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers.
We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.
We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.
We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.
We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.
- 4 ejections, benches-clearing scrum mark Pirates’ win over Reds
- Gameday: Pirates vs. Cubs, August 3, 2015
- Starting 9: Examining Pirates’ deadline decisions
- Pirates farmhand Suchy learns limits of his size, strength
- Pirates notebook: New acquisition Happ more than happy to fill spot in rotation
- Biertempfel: Players, MLB agree logic of season’s setup needs to be examined
- Reds solve Cole, stave off Pirates’ 9th-inning rally
- Gameday: Pirates at Reds, Aug. 2, 2015
- Marte’s 2 fine defensive plays rescue Pirates in victory over Reds
- Pirates place Burnett on 15-day disabled list
- McCutchen, Pirates hitters increasingly in crosshairs