Pirates reliever Yates requests free agency
The Pirates requested outright waivers on reliever Tyler Yates, who then opted for free agency. Yates missed most of last season after having reconstructive elbow surgery.
Yates pitched in 87 games after the Pirates acquired him in a trade with Atlanta a week before the start of the 2008 season. This past season, the right-hander worked in 15 games, going 0-2 with a 7.50 ERA. He had Tommy John surgery in July — his second such procedure in seven years — and ended the season on the disabled list.
There are 38 players on the Pirates' 40-man roster. That does not include pitchers Evan Meek and Jose Ascanio, who both are on the 60-day disabled list.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates win 5th straight as offense continues to click in win over Marlins
- Pirates notebook: Struggling Polanco held out of starting lineup
- Gameday: Pirates vs. Marlins, May 27, 2015
- Pirates notebook: Morton’s return to Pirates means Liz leaves
- Pirates pitcher Morton turns in solid performance in win over Marlins
- Pirates chase Mets’ Harvey early in rout
- Former pitcher Allie happily adjusting to outfield
- Book details secret to Pirates’ turnaround
- Pirates reassign Liz to make roster room for Morton
- Gameday: Pirates vs. Marlins, May 25, 2014
- Gameday: Pirates vs. Marlins, May 26, 2015