Vazquez says knee feels great
• Ramon Vazquez came off the field Monday after an early-morning workout and said his surgically repaired right knee is feeling great. Vazquez is taking grounders hit straight at him (minimal side-to-side movement) and ran sprints at 80 percent speed Thursday, Friday and Saturday. Today, he'll participate in live batting practice for the first time this spring.
• Andy LaRoche, Pedro Alvarez and Bobby Crosby fielded grounders at third base. Steve Pearce and Jeff Clement worked at first base. Delwyn Young and Doug Bernier were stationed at second base.
• Even though the first full-squad workout isn't until today, 19 of the 24 position players went through drills. Akinori Iwamura and Brandon Moss were among the players who missed the workouts to undergo physicals.
• The Pirates have made an inquiry to the NHL about the possibility of hosting the 2011 Winter Classic at PNC Park. A decision from the NHL is expected in the next few weeks.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates hope 1st baseman Alvarez starts to regain power stroke
- Starkey: Cervelli’s inspiration
- Gameday: Pirates at Tigers, June 30, 2015
- Late rally falls short, as Pirates can’t complete sweep of Braves
- Pirates notebook: Power shortage continues, Tabata designated for assignment
- Starting 9: The Pirates’ arms have been great ...
- McCutchen’s 1st-inning exit with injury mars Pirates’ victory over Braves
- Starting 9: First base continues to prove problematic for Pirates
- Biertempfel: Pirates’ Burnett makes pitch for All-Star Game in final season
- Finally healthy, former 1st-rounder Joe finding his way
- Pirates overcome mistakes with big inning to knock off Reds