Vazquez says knee feels great
• Ramon Vazquez came off the field Monday after an early-morning workout and said his surgically repaired right knee is feeling great. Vazquez is taking grounders hit straight at him (minimal side-to-side movement) and ran sprints at 80 percent speed Thursday, Friday and Saturday. Today, he'll participate in live batting practice for the first time this spring.
• Andy LaRoche, Pedro Alvarez and Bobby Crosby fielded grounders at third base. Steve Pearce and Jeff Clement worked at first base. Delwyn Young and Doug Bernier were stationed at second base.
• Even though the first full-squad workout isn't until today, 19 of the 24 position players went through drills. Akinori Iwamura and Brandon Moss were among the players who missed the workouts to undergo physicals.
• The Pirates have made an inquiry to the NHL about the possibility of hosting the 2011 Winter Classic at PNC Park. A decision from the NHL is expected in the next few weeks.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates notebook: Wainwright injury doesn’t sway Hurdle on DH
- Behind starter Liriano, Pirates complete sweep of Diamondbacks
- Gameday: Pirates at Cubs, April 27, 2015
- Biertempfel: Observations from a day at the ballpark
- Sawchik: Young Cubs could threaten for foreseeable future
- Bradenton outfielder Barnes burdened by his body
- Burnett’s stellar start paves way for Pirates’ victory over Diamondbacks
- Pirates notebook: McCutchen unfazed by return to Arizona
- Gameday: Pirates at Diamondbacks, April 26, 2015
- Gameday: Pirates vs. Cubs, April 21, 2015
- Pirates notebook: Fan struck by foul ball released from hospital