Vazquez says knee feels great
• Ramon Vazquez came off the field Monday after an early-morning workout and said his surgically repaired right knee is feeling great. Vazquez is taking grounders hit straight at him (minimal side-to-side movement) and ran sprints at 80 percent speed Thursday, Friday and Saturday. Today, he'll participate in live batting practice for the first time this spring.
• Andy LaRoche, Pedro Alvarez and Bobby Crosby fielded grounders at third base. Steve Pearce and Jeff Clement worked at first base. Delwyn Young and Doug Bernier were stationed at second base.
• Even though the first full-squad workout isn't until today, 19 of the 24 position players went through drills. Akinori Iwamura and Brandon Moss were among the players who missed the workouts to undergo physicals.
• The Pirates have made an inquiry to the NHL about the possibility of hosting the 2011 Winter Classic at PNC Park. A decision from the NHL is expected in the next few weeks.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Body found in Allegheny River in Harrison
- 5 injured in Route 51 crash in Rostraver
- Steelers notebook: Linebacker Timmons hoping for contract extension
- Kennywood Holiday Lights festival returns for 5th year
- Chief justice revokes Feudale’s senior judge status
- How to defeat ISIS
- Steelers plan to use smart pass rush against Seattle QB Wilson
- Chicago police videos of black teen McDonald’s death lack sounds; protests planned for ‘Black Friday’
- Alpine touring skiing movement faces uphill climb in Western Pa.
- Mon City man arrested for alleged assault
- Steelers veteran linebacker Harrison focused on stretch run