Vazquez says knee feels great
• Ramon Vazquez came off the field Monday after an early-morning workout and said his surgically repaired right knee is feeling great. Vazquez is taking grounders hit straight at him (minimal side-to-side movement) and ran sprints at 80 percent speed Thursday, Friday and Saturday. Today, he'll participate in live batting practice for the first time this spring.
• Andy LaRoche, Pedro Alvarez and Bobby Crosby fielded grounders at third base. Steve Pearce and Jeff Clement worked at first base. Delwyn Young and Doug Bernier were stationed at second base.
• Even though the first full-squad workout isn't until today, 19 of the 24 position players went through drills. Akinori Iwamura and Brandon Moss were among the players who missed the workouts to undergo physicals.
• The Pirates have made an inquiry to the NHL about the possibility of hosting the 2011 Winter Classic at PNC Park. A decision from the NHL is expected in the next few weeks.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates special instructor Tekulve taking second chance to heart
- Pirates notebook: Hart ‘down a few days’ after cutting foot
- Rossi: Fitting in will be Kang’s biggest hurdle
- Pirates starting pitcher Worley is in right place, right time with team
- Burnett’s farewell tour wishlist has just 1 item: Pirates World Series
- Pirates notebook: Sadler gets first Grapefruit start
- Pirates notebook: Infield prospect Hanson used to playing elders
- Ex-Brewers star Hart hopes to prove to Pirates he still can play
- Pirates willing to consider high salary to keep star McCutchen
- Sawchik: Should McCutchen really get a huge salary bump?
- Rossi: Pirates better with Maz on scene