Vazquez says knee feels great
• Ramon Vazquez came off the field Monday after an early-morning workout and said his surgically repaired right knee is feeling great. Vazquez is taking grounders hit straight at him (minimal side-to-side movement) and ran sprints at 80 percent speed Thursday, Friday and Saturday. Today, he'll participate in live batting practice for the first time this spring.
• Andy LaRoche, Pedro Alvarez and Bobby Crosby fielded grounders at third base. Steve Pearce and Jeff Clement worked at first base. Delwyn Young and Doug Bernier were stationed at second base.
• Even though the first full-squad workout isn't until today, 19 of the 24 position players went through drills. Akinori Iwamura and Brandon Moss were among the players who missed the workouts to undergo physicals.
• The Pirates have made an inquiry to the NHL about the possibility of hosting the 2011 Winter Classic at PNC Park. A decision from the NHL is expected in the next few weeks.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates notebook: Sanchez returns to Bucs in offensive slump
- Tuesday’s scouting report: Pirates at Cardinals
- Cardinals grab victory over pitcher Cole, Pirates with a late rally
- Monday’s scouting report: Pirates at Cardinals
- Rossi: Cole perfect pitcher to start pivotal series for Pirates
- Pirates notebook: Bucs unlikely to make trade before deadline
- Sunday’s scouting report: Pirates vs. Reds
- Pirates notebook: Lambo recalled to bolster bench
- Pirates edge Reds, 3-2, for 4th consecutive victory
- Pirates notebook: Morton status remains in limbo
- Biertempfel: First base becoming new hot corner for Pirates