Vazquez says knee feels great
• Ramon Vazquez came off the field Monday after an early-morning workout and said his surgically repaired right knee is feeling great. Vazquez is taking grounders hit straight at him (minimal side-to-side movement) and ran sprints at 80 percent speed Thursday, Friday and Saturday. Today, he'll participate in live batting practice for the first time this spring.
• Andy LaRoche, Pedro Alvarez and Bobby Crosby fielded grounders at third base. Steve Pearce and Jeff Clement worked at first base. Delwyn Young and Doug Bernier were stationed at second base.
• Even though the first full-squad workout isn't until today, 19 of the 24 position players went through drills. Akinori Iwamura and Brandon Moss were among the players who missed the workouts to undergo physicals.
• The Pirates have made an inquiry to the NHL about the possibility of hosting the 2011 Winter Classic at PNC Park. A decision from the NHL is expected in the next few weeks.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Struggling Pirates SS Mercer finding himself out on infield’s left side
- Gameday: Pirates vs. Mets, May 22, 2015
- Pirates notebook: Marte gets earful from Hurdle about lazy play
- Rossi: Hurdle needs better players, not blame
- Pace-of-play rules are catching on with Pirates this season
- Mauer’s 13th-inning homer spells doom for Pirates in home loss
- Improved Tabata rejoins Pirates roster
- Alvarez’s homer into river not enough for Pirates in loss to Twins
- Polanco’s gaffe provides unlikely end to Pirates’ loss to Cubs
- Starting 9: Should Pirates maximize McCutchen window by trading for a star?
- Biertempfel: Pirates are music to Price’s ears