Vazquez says knee feels great
• Ramon Vazquez came off the field Monday after an early-morning workout and said his surgically repaired right knee is feeling great. Vazquez is taking grounders hit straight at him (minimal side-to-side movement) and ran sprints at 80 percent speed Thursday, Friday and Saturday. Today, he'll participate in live batting practice for the first time this spring.
• Andy LaRoche, Pedro Alvarez and Bobby Crosby fielded grounders at third base. Steve Pearce and Jeff Clement worked at first base. Delwyn Young and Doug Bernier were stationed at second base.
• Even though the first full-squad workout isn't until today, 19 of the 24 position players went through drills. Akinori Iwamura and Brandon Moss were among the players who missed the workouts to undergo physicals.
• The Pirates have made an inquiry to the NHL about the possibility of hosting the 2011 Winter Classic at PNC Park. A decision from the NHL is expected in the next few weeks.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates find a bridge at end of baseball world in Holdzkom
- Pirates notebook: Bucs set single-season attendance record
- Pirates, Worley edge Brewers, 1-0, move to cusp of playoffs
- Monday’s scouting report: Pirates at Braves
- New approach on offense has Pirates in playoff contention this season
- Thursday’s scouting report: Red Sox at Pirates
- Pirates notebook: Castillo’s debut underscores challenges in Cuban market
- Pirates analyst Kent Tekulve recovering after heart transplant
- Wednesday’s scouting report: Red Sox at Pirates
- Friday’s scouting report: Brewers at Pirates
- Sunday’s scouting report: Brewers at Pirates