MLBPA head Weiner: Pirates' plan gets our approval
UNIVERSITY PARK — The Pirates' Opening Day payroll of $34.9 million is the lowest in the majors, but it did not sound alarm bells at the players' union.
Earlier this month, the Pirates sent the Major League Baseball Players Association an annual statement detailing how the franchise spent its portion of revenue-sharing funds. MLBPA executive director Michael Weiner on Monday gave grudging approval of the Pirates' budget-conscious strategy for rebuilding the team.
"Are we happy with the current state of the Pirates' payroll• Of course we'd like to see it higher," Weiner said at Penn State's Dickinson School of Law. "Is it tough to see when they sign a player like Nate McLouth and then trade him• Is it tough to see some of the other things they've done• Sure. But, to date, we have been convinced the Pirates have a plan.
"You guys (in Pittsburgh) have as beautiful a ballpark as there is in the major leagues. You've got a phenomenal fan base and history. (Ownership has) a plan in place, so we'll continue to monitor it. We've been satisfied so far."
The Pirates' payroll is about $15 million lower than it was on Opening Day two years ago. That's the result of a slew of trades that swapped higher-priced veterans for prospects and major leaguers in the low-cost stages of their careers.
Although the Pirates have slashed payroll, the amount the team receives via revenue-sharing has remained constant. The Pirates — who have turned a profit every year since 2004 — are believed to have received about $35 million in revenue-sharing money on top of about $40 million from baseball's central fund last year. Team president Frank Coonelly has disputed those figures, saying only that the total income was less than $75 million.
As part of the collective bargaining agreement, every club that gets revenue-sharing funds must reveal its figures to the MLBPA.
"We've been in touch with the commissioner's office and with people in the Pirates' (front office) over the years about how things are going," Weiner said. "To date, at least, we have been satisfied that the new administration there understands the conditions of the basic agreement. I can't get into the specifics, but it appears to us that they have a plan."
Weiner joined the union in 1988 as general counsel. In December, he succeeded Don Fehr as executive director and yesterday spoke about upcoming issues affecting the players, including the expiration of the CBA after the 2011 season.
Weiner said he expects negotiations to begin "no later than next spring." Topics on the table likely include realignment, increased drug testing and an international draft.
The "Super 2" rule, which enables a small percentage of players to become eligible for arbitration a year early depending on their service time, could be a contentious issue.
"The initial intention of that was to avoid roster manipulation," Weiner said. "The number (of service days) moves around, so no one knows exactly where it's going to be until the end of the year. But it's become quite predictable."
Under the current rule, the Pirates could keep top prospect Pedro Alvarez in the minors until later this summer to ensure he wouldn't be arbitration-eligible until 2014. Alvarez's contract has a clause that lets him void a $1.63 million club option for 2013 if he is arbitration-eligible.
Note: Pirates right-hander Hayden Penn, who cleared waivers Saturday, accepted his assignment to Triple-A Indianapolis.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.
We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.
While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.
We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers.
We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.
We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.
We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.
We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.
- Pirates trade Davis to A’s for international signing bonus money
- Pirates enter Plan B with Martin off market
- Pirates cut ties with Davis, clearing path for Alvarez to play first base
- Pirates notebook: Team offered catcher Martin 4-year contract
- Pirates ready to protect top pitching prospects from Rule 5 draft
- Pirates agree to terms with pitcher Burnett
- Rossi: Pirates don’t need Alvarez at first base
- Pirates acquire catcher Cervelli from Yankees
- Martin agrees to 5-year, $82 million deal with Blue Jays
- Scouts: Acquiring Cervelli from Yankees cost Pirates promising reliever