Pirates reliever Donnelly targets return date
Reliever Brendan Donnelly (strained left oblique), who's eligible to come off the DL Friday, won't be activated until at least May 19.
Due to the unseasonably cold weather, Donnelly played catch indoors Sunday morning.
"It would be a stretch to get him back before the next homestand," manager John Russell said.
» Chris Jakubauskas (concussion) played catch Friday, but got dizzy after the workout. He has not yet gotten medical clearance to begin full rehab activities.
"He still has those moments when he gets real dizzy," Russell said.
» Third baseman Andy LaRoche is off to a good start and first baseman Steve Pearce was called up last week from Triple-A Indianapolis. But general manager Neal Huntington said there are no immediate plans to use top prospect Pedro Alvarez at first base for Indy.
"We're still looking to get Pedro established offensively and continue the work defensively at third base," Huntington said. "Right now, our focus is still on Andy as our third baseman at the major-league level and Pedro at third base in Triple-A. There'll come a point in time when it's appropriate to start thinking about one or the other."
» Right-hander Brian Bass, who has a 12.79 ERA after three relief outings, likely will be sent back to Triple-A Indianapolis to clear a roster spot for Ross Ohlendorf.
» Infielder Kevin Melillo was promoted to Triple-A Indianapolis.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates pound Padres for 7th consecutive victory
- Pirates’ Morton hopes he’s past injury-riddled part of career
- Gameday: Pirates vs. Padres, May 29, 2015
- Pirates pitching prospect Kingham undergoes Tommy John surgery
- Pirates notebook: Alvarez having success looking the other way
- Starkey: Kang story of the year for Pirates
- Pirates notebook: Morton’s return to Pirates means Liz leaves
- Pirates win 5th straight as offense continues to click in win over Marlins
- Pirates use big 7th inning to sweep Marlins, stretch winning streak
- Gameday: Pirates at Padres, May 28, 2015
- Pirates’ prospect Taillon returns to mound following surgery