Pirates reliever Donnelly targets return date
Reliever Brendan Donnelly (strained left oblique), who's eligible to come off the DL Friday, won't be activated until at least May 19.
Due to the unseasonably cold weather, Donnelly played catch indoors Sunday morning.
"It would be a stretch to get him back before the next homestand," manager John Russell said.
» Chris Jakubauskas (concussion) played catch Friday, but got dizzy after the workout. He has not yet gotten medical clearance to begin full rehab activities.
"He still has those moments when he gets real dizzy," Russell said.
» Third baseman Andy LaRoche is off to a good start and first baseman Steve Pearce was called up last week from Triple-A Indianapolis. But general manager Neal Huntington said there are no immediate plans to use top prospect Pedro Alvarez at first base for Indy.
"We're still looking to get Pedro established offensively and continue the work defensively at third base," Huntington said. "Right now, our focus is still on Andy as our third baseman at the major-league level and Pedro at third base in Triple-A. There'll come a point in time when it's appropriate to start thinking about one or the other."
» Right-hander Brian Bass, who has a 12.79 ERA after three relief outings, likely will be sent back to Triple-A Indianapolis to clear a roster spot for Ross Ohlendorf.
» Infielder Kevin Melillo was promoted to Triple-A Indianapolis.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates must weigh risk, reward in attempt to sign Martin
- Pirates acquire infielder from Indians, designate Axford, Gomez for assignment
- Pirates organization to continue pursuing value free agents in offseason
- Pirates will implement price increase for 2015 tickets
- Pirates to end spring in Philadelphia again, sign Stinson to minor league deal
- Volquez latest rehabbed arm to get ball on big stage for Pirates
- Pirates notebook: Nutting says team may ‘stretch’ for Martin
- Giants’ Crawford makes history with slam
- Pirates’ Banister named finalist for Rangers’ managing job
- Pirates bench coach Jeff Banister named Rangers manager