Pirates reliever Donnelly targets return date
Reliever Brendan Donnelly (strained left oblique), who's eligible to come off the DL Friday, won't be activated until at least May 19.
Due to the unseasonably cold weather, Donnelly played catch indoors Sunday morning.
"It would be a stretch to get him back before the next homestand," manager John Russell said.
» Chris Jakubauskas (concussion) played catch Friday, but got dizzy after the workout. He has not yet gotten medical clearance to begin full rehab activities.
"He still has those moments when he gets real dizzy," Russell said.
» Third baseman Andy LaRoche is off to a good start and first baseman Steve Pearce was called up last week from Triple-A Indianapolis. But general manager Neal Huntington said there are no immediate plans to use top prospect Pedro Alvarez at first base for Indy.
"We're still looking to get Pedro established offensively and continue the work defensively at third base," Huntington said. "Right now, our focus is still on Andy as our third baseman at the major-league level and Pedro at third base in Triple-A. There'll come a point in time when it's appropriate to start thinking about one or the other."
» Right-hander Brian Bass, who has a 12.79 ERA after three relief outings, likely will be sent back to Triple-A Indianapolis to clear a roster spot for Ross Ohlendorf.
» Infielder Kevin Melillo was promoted to Triple-A Indianapolis.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Ex-Pirate Parker fights against Parkinson’s with optimistic attitude
- Pirates notebook: New catcher Cervelli eager to bond with staff
- MLB notebook: Pirates’ Liriano gets $2 million bonus as part of 3-year, $39 million deal
- Pirates enter Plan B with Martin off market
- Pirates tender deals to 11 players, cut ties with Sanchez
- Pirates finalize Liriano’s 3-year, $39 million deal