Pirates reliever Donnelly targets return date
Reliever Brendan Donnelly (strained left oblique), who's eligible to come off the DL Friday, won't be activated until at least May 19.
Due to the unseasonably cold weather, Donnelly played catch indoors Sunday morning.
"It would be a stretch to get him back before the next homestand," manager John Russell said.
» Chris Jakubauskas (concussion) played catch Friday, but got dizzy after the workout. He has not yet gotten medical clearance to begin full rehab activities.
"He still has those moments when he gets real dizzy," Russell said.
» Third baseman Andy LaRoche is off to a good start and first baseman Steve Pearce was called up last week from Triple-A Indianapolis. But general manager Neal Huntington said there are no immediate plans to use top prospect Pedro Alvarez at first base for Indy.
"We're still looking to get Pedro established offensively and continue the work defensively at third base," Huntington said. "Right now, our focus is still on Andy as our third baseman at the major-league level and Pedro at third base in Triple-A. There'll come a point in time when it's appropriate to start thinking about one or the other."
» Right-hander Brian Bass, who has a 12.79 ERA after three relief outings, likely will be sent back to Triple-A Indianapolis to clear a roster spot for Ross Ohlendorf.
» Infielder Kevin Melillo was promoted to Triple-A Indianapolis.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Sanchez odd man out with Pirates recalling Stewart
- Gameday: Pirates vs./at Opponent, Month Day, Year
- Marte’s bat, Worley’s arm show improvement in Pirates win
- Pirates’ Melancon isn’t worried about drop in velocity
- Pirates pitchers finding success with expanded strike zone
- Pirates’ Cole works to bring past 2nd-half success to season start
- Rossi: The only Alvarez we know is a slugger
- Gameday: Pirates at Brewers, April 12, 2015
- Gameday: Pirates vs. Tigers, April 15, 2015
- Pirates get ready to face Brewers pitcher Nelson, hope for better results