Pirates' Iwamura fighting hamstring injury
PHILADELPHIA — The Pirates' Aki Iwamura (strained hamstring) took extra batting practice Monday but was not ready to start at second base.
"He still feels it running and moving side to side," manager John Russell said. "He's able to swing the bat, so if we needed a pinch-hitter, he could do it. I don't know how hard he could run, though."
» Outfielder Starling Marte will have surgery Tuesday to repair a fractured hamate bone in his left hand. Marte, who is with Single-AA Bradenton, is expected to miss at least 8-10 weeks.
» Right-hander Daniel McCutchen went on the seven-day disabled list at Triple-A Indianapolis due to arm fatigue.
"He should only miss a start or two," director of player development Kyle Stark said. McCutchen is 2-2 with a 4.81 ERA for Indy.
» Altoona righty Jared Hughes was named pitcher of the week in the Double-A Eastern League. He's the first Curve pitcher to win the award since Yoslan Herrera in June 2008. Hughes is 7-1 with a 3.16 ERA and leads all of the minors in victories.
» Right-hander Hunter Strickland was promoted to Single-A Bradenton. Strickland was acquired July 22 from the Red Sox in the Adam LaRoche deal. At West Virginia this year, he went 0-4 with a 5.86 ERA. He had eight walks and 15 strikeouts in 43 innings.
» Taking Strickland's place at low-A West Virginia is righty Victor Black, who had been on short-season State College's roster. Black, 21, was a supplemental-round draft pick in 2009.
» Neil Walker continues to rake. He has 13 extra-base hits in May, tops this month in the Triple-A International League. Walker also is tied for second in all of the minors with 16 doubles.
» A rare Honus Wagner T206 baseball card proof strip, valued at more than $250,000, will be on display at Citizens Bank Park through Tuesday. The proof strip will be auctioned in July as part of the All-Star FanFest.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates notebook: Sanchez returns to Bucs in offensive slump
- Tuesday’s scouting report: Pirates at Cardinals
- Cardinals grab victory over pitcher Cole, Pirates with a late rally
- Rossi: Cole perfect pitcher to start pivotal series for Pirates
- Pirates notebook: Bucs unlikely to make trade before deadline
- RF Heisey, Reds avert sweep with a victory over Pirates at PNC Park
- Biertempfel: First base becoming new hot corner for Pirates
- Pirates down Cardinals, inch closer in wild-card chase
- Pirates starting pitcher Cole growing in his 1st full major-league season
- Pirates edge Reds, 3-2, for 4th consecutive victory
- Stats Corner: Corner men Marte, Snider deliver punch