Walker supplants Iwamura at second
Pirates manager John Russell said yesterday that Neil Walker will get the majority of starts at second base, and Aki Iwamura has been moved to the bench.
Walker, a Pine-Richland graduate, was promoted from Triple-A Indianapolis one week ago and is 9 for 28 with four multi-hit games following a 2 for 4 performance yesterday against the Chicago Cubs.
The Bucs' 2-1 victory yesterday was Walker's third start in seven games with the Pirates at second base, a position he started working at during spring training this year.
"(Walker) has done a nice job," Russell said. "We're not giving him the job, but we'll see how it goes. He still has a lot of work to do and has to fine-tune his skills at second, but he's made good progress."
Iwamura, who snapped an 0 for 34 streak at the plate on May 23, took a .173 batting average into yesterday's pinch-hit appearance — the third-lowest figure among regular players in the majors. The team's highest-paid player — Iwamura makes $4.85 million — grounded out softly in the seventh and was booed.
Iwamura's relegation to the bench doesn't mean he's never going to start again, Russell said. But they hope to get him in the weight room and work toward improving mobility in his surgically repaired left knee.
"No player likes being told they're not going to play much," Russell said of Iwamura's reaction. "It's not an easy pill to swallow. I'm sure he's disappointed and upset, but hopefully he takes it the right way and works hard."
Russell said they also may give Iwamura some playing time at third base, which was his position in Japan. Prior to 2008, he'd only played one game at second base.
• Andrew McCutchen has reassumed duties as the Pirates' leadoff hitter, which was Iwamura's spot in 35 of 51 games. "He thrived at leadoff last year and he enjoys it," Russell said. "We're trying to set the table for the team and energize the offense."
• As was the case at major-league ballparks across the country, the Pirates paused the game briefly at 3 p.m. for a National Moment of Remembrance.
• Former Pirates lefty Tom Gorzelanny was taken out of the Cubs' rotation and moved to the bullpen, while John Grabow, another former Pirates left-hander, was placed on the 15-day disabled list with inflammation in his left knee.
• The Pirates have won 105 games on Memorial Day, most in major-league history.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.
We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.
While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.
We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers.
We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.
We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.
We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.
We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.
- 4 ejections, benches-clearing scrum mark Pirates’ win over Reds
- Starting 9: Examining Pirates’ deadline decisions
- Gameday: Pirates vs. Cubs, August 3, 2015
- Biertempfel: Players, MLB agree logic of season’s setup needs to be examined
- Pirates farmhand Suchy learns limits of his size, strength
- Reds solve Cole, stave off Pirates’ 9th-inning rally
- Pirates notebook: New acquisition Happ more than happy to fill spot in rotation
- Gameday: Pirates at Reds, Aug. 2, 2015
- Marte’s 2 fine defensive plays rescue Pirates in victory over Reds
- Pirates trade for Dodgers 1B/OF Morse, Mariners LHP Happ
- Pirates place Burnett on 15-day disabled list