GM: Clubs show interest in Iwamura
TribLIVE Sports Videos
• GM Neal Huntington said "a handful of clubs have expressed some level of interest" in trading for Aki Iwamura, though most teams have turned down the Pirates' overtures. "We'll put some closure to it, one way or another, hopefully early this week," Huntington said.
• Saturday, Charlie Morton made his third rehab start with Triple-A Indianapolis and allowed three runs and six hits in five innings. He walked three and struck out five. "He had very good velocity, up to 96 mph, the four-seamer was explosive in the zone, the two-seamer had a ton of life" Huntington said. The braintrust will huddle this week to decide whether to activate Morton (shoulder fatigue) from the disabled list and then whether to send him to Pittsburgh or Indy. "We want to make the right move for us and for Charlie," Huntington said. "Not ready to make an announcement about it either way, at this point."
• In two rehab games Saturday and Sunday with Indy, Steve Pearce (sprained ankle) went a combined 5 for 7 with four runs scored, one RBI, a double, three walks and one stolen base. Pearce started both games in right field.
• Single-A Bradenton catcher Tony Sanchez last week was hit in the head by a pitch and as a precaution was held out of the Florida State League All-Star Game. Sanchez is expected to be back in action this week.
• Huntington said Bradenton shortstop Brock Holt (knee) will not require surgery. "He took a pretty good shot (June 5 in a collision)," Huntington said. "But all indications are he just needs time to get the bruising out of there and the strength back in." Huntington said Holt's MCL is not torn.
• Infielder Jeremy Farrell did not play in the FSL All-Star Game due to a shin injury and heat exhaustion.
• Garrett Jones extended his hitting streak to a career-best 11 games, the longest active streak in the NL. During his binge, Jones has gone 17 for 41 (.415) with nine RBI.
• Evan Meek's 0.68 ERA is the lowest by a Pirates reliever at this point of the season since Bill Landrum had a 0.50 ERA on Aug. 3, 1989.
• The Pirates are 4-0 at home this season when the crowd is 30,000-plus. Last year, they went 7-2 at PNC Park when more than 30,000 fans showed up.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.
We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.
While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.
We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers.
We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.
We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.
We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.
We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.
- Gameday: Pirates at Diamondbacks, April 25, 2015
- Pirates look to continue success in cross-country trips
- Pirates notebook: McCutchen unfazed by return to Arizona
- Pirates minor league report: Rapid advancement to test Tucker
- Super-agent Boras says Pirates will have opportunity to re-sign Alvarez, Cole
- Pirates notebook: No demotion for closer Melancon
- Gameday: Pirates vs. Tigers, April 14, 2015
- Pirates notebook: Marte, McCutchen out of starting lineup in series finale
- Polanco, bullpen come up clutch as Pirates capture win over Cubs