Bucs get Padres right-hander
The Pirates on Wednesday acquired right-hander Sean Gallagher, 24, from San Diego for cash considerations. The Pirates will have to make a roster move when Gallagher joins the team today. He made 15 relief outings and had a 5.40 ERA for the Padres. He pitched 23 1⁄3 innings, allowed 24 hits and 19 walks and struck out 21. "I can get that (control) problem solved," Gallagher said. "It's just a matter of getting back down to basics again."
• Manager John Russell said Gallagher will pitch in middle relief but eventually could earn another role. "He could work his way into a back-end (relief role) or make a start if there's an opportunity," Russell said. Gallagher is eager for the opportunity. "I'd like to be a starter, but I'm ready for whatever they want me to do," he said.
• Russell saw Gallagher pitch for the Chicago Cubs as a rookie in 2007 and 2008 and was impressed by his four-pitch mix. Shortstop Ronny Cedeno, a former Cub, smiled when he was told Gallagher was on his way. "Good arm," he said. "Really good sinker."
• During on online chat, team president Frank Coonelly was asked about trade rumors surrounding closer Octavio Dotel. His response: "Octavio Dotel is not on the trading block."
• Last night, Andrew McCutchen and Jose Tabata batted 1-2 for the first time. Russell said he'd like to have McCutchen bat leadoff for the foreseeable future. "It makes us a little more exciting, a little more dangerous at the top of the order," Russell said, adding that Pedro Alvarez eventually could move into the third or fourth spot.
• Right-hander Bryan Morris will be on Team USA for the All-Star Futures Game on Sunday in Anaheim, Calif. Morris was named as a replacement after two pitchers were forced to drop out. In nine starts since being promoted to Double-A Altoona, Morris is 4-3 with a 3.66 ERA.
• The Pirates purchased catcher Jordan Newton from the New Jersey Jackals of the independent Canadian-American League. Newton, 24, was assigned to High-A Bradenton, where he'll provide depth after the season-ending injury to Tony Sanchez.Additional Information:
2:05 p.m. today
Minute Maid Park, Houston
TV/radio: FSN/WPGB-FM (104.7), XM Channel 183
Pitchers: RHP Ross Ohlendorf (1-6, 4.39) will start for the Pirates. RHP Roy Oswalt (5-10, 3.32) will start for Houston.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.
We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.
While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.
We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers.
We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.
We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.
We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.
We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.
- Steelers stalled by Seahawks, on outside of AFC wild-card picture
- Steelers players say they support Tomlin’s attempts at deception
- Steelers’ Roethlisberger reported symptoms that led to his exit vs. Seahawks
- Rossi: It’s past time for NFL to protect players
- Pennsylvania Game Commission reaps revenue from shale gas under game lands
- Family of man accused of shooting St. Clair officer say allegations don’t fit his character
- Steelers notebook: Seahawks’ Sherman gets better of WR Brown
- Week 12 — Steelers-Seahawks gameday grades
- Tarentum Bridge falcon defends turf as eagles scout nesting locations
- Korean exhibit to go on display
- Community comes together to mourn death of St. Clair police officer