Rockies closer Street struck by line drive during batting practice
» Colorado Rockies closer Huston Street was hit in the right pelvic area by a line drive in batting practice before Tuesday's game with the Pirates at Coors Field and was taken off the field in an ambulance. Street was transported to an emergency room for tests. The severity of the injury wasn't immediately known.
» The Pirates signed right-hander Travis Chick, 26, and assigned him to Triple-A Indianapolis. Chick went 5-4 with a 4.40 ERA this season for the Camden Riversharks of the independent Atlantic League. A 14th-round draft pick in 2002, Chick appeared in three games for the Seattle Mariners in 2006 and posted a 12.60 ERA.
» Right-hander Jose Acosta, who was pitching for the Pirates' team in the Venezuelan Summer League, was suspended for 50 games by Major League Baseball. Acosta tested positive for the steroid Stanozolol. The Pirates signed Acosta, 18, in May. He made one appearance for the VSL Pirates and tossed 2 1⁄3 scoreless innings.
» State College right-hander Tyler Waldron was named short-season Single-A New York-Penn League pitcher of the week. He threw 11 scoreless innings over two outings last week, stretching his shutout string to 14 innings. Waldron was the Pirates' fifth-round draft pick this year out of Oregon State.
» West Virginia right-hander Phillip Irwin was named Low-A South Atlantic League pitcher of the week. He tossed seven no-hit innings Saturday against Hagerstown.
» Right-hander Bryan Morris, whose last start was skipped to give him extra rest, pitched last night for Double-A Altoona. In his previous three starts this month, Morris went 0-2 with a 9.95 ERA.
» Double-A Altoona put outfielder Gorkys Hernandez on the disabled list with a broken right ring finger. Hernandez was injured Sunday when he was hit by a pitch. Also, second baseman Shelby Ford was sent down to High-A Bradenton.
» Lefty Corey Hamman was promoted to Triple-A Indianapolis. Utilityman Jose de los Santos was sent up to Altoona.Additional Information:
Pirates game day
8:40 p.m., Coors Field
TV/radio : FSN Pittsburgh/WPGB-FM (104.7), XM Channel 187
Pitchers : RHP Ross Ohlendorf (1-8, 4.39) will start for the Pirates. RHP Aaron Cook (4-6, 4.78) will start for Colorado.
Of interest: Ohlendorf has allowed only seven earned runs over his past five starts covering 27 1⁄3 innings, but he has won just one game in that stretch.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates say goodbye to veteran leaders Burnett, Ramirez
- Pirates notebook: Fastball command issues hurt Cole against Cubs
- A field day on social media as Pirates’ Rodriguez attacks Gatorade cooler
- Cubs’ Fowler, Schwarber deliver to sink Pirates
- Starkey: Pirates gaining bad big-game rep
- Rossi: Cole is simply not good enough for Pirates
- Pirates no match for Cubs, Arrieta in wild-card loss
- Burnett pitches well in farewell, but Pirates lose to Reds
- Pirates notebook: Tempers boil after Arrieta beaned
- Pirates will play NL wild-card game at PNC Park after shutting out Reds
- How the Pirates put together another postseason contender