Cedeno healthier but still held out
» A cortisone shot administered Monday helped shortstop Ronny Cedeno's sore left shoulder feel better Tuesday, enough so that he was listed in the starting lineup. Cedeno hit in the batting cages yesterday afternoon, then planned to make a final decision after batting practice. After going through BP, the decision was made to scratch him and put Argenis Diaz back at short for the sixth straight game.
» Chris Resop lowered his ERA to 1.23 after pitching a scoreless inning Monday night. Since the Pirates claimed him off waivers from the Atlanta Braves on Aug. 4, he's allowed three hits in 24 at-bats, struck out 10 in 71⁄3 innings and has been scored on just once. "He's a guy who we feel has gotten very consistent his last few outings," manager John Russell said. "I like the fact that his velocity has gotten up to what he was throwing a couple years ago when he was with Atlanta when he was out of the bullpen. He's at the 94-to-96 range occasionally, and the thing about that is he's got command. The 14-pitch at-bat (Monday) kind of hurt him, but he kept throwing strikes. If he can keep his breaking ball going, that's going to be a big key for him."
» Going into last night's game, the Pirates were 27-30 at home and 13-48 on the road. They have a 4.47 ERA and are hitting .252 at home (234 runs scored), with a 5.65 ERA and .231 batting average (174 runs scored) on the road.Additional Information:
Pirates game day
vs. Florida Marlins
7:05 p.m., PNC Park
Radio: WPGB-FM (104.7), XM 184. TV: Fox Sports Net
Pitchers: RHP Josh Johnson (10-5, 2.27 ERA) will pitch for the Marlins. RHP Ross Ohlendorf (1-9, 3.95 ERA) will pitch for the Pirates.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Rossi: Liriano no ace, but he’s Bucs’ key
- Pirates notebook: Polanco, Puig held out of series opener
- Tuesday’s scouting report: Dodgers at Pirates
- Pirates notebook: Huntington staying patient as trade deadline approaches
- Dodgers rough up rusty starter Volquez, knock off Pirates at PNC Park
- Biertempfel: One man’s cause to canonize Roberto Clemente
- Monday’s scouting report: Dodgers at Pirates
- Pirates notebook: Marte held out after scare
- Pirates notebook: Walker rejoins team, will play Tuesday